Stat tripping Rcd.

Sponsored Links
We got soft to neutral here
I don't know what that means.

Switch off the power.

Test the thermostat first first.
Turn it up to maximum.
Measure the resistance between either terminal and earth.
It should be open circuit.

Disconnect the wires from the element.

Measure resistance between L & N terminals.
It should be around 19Ω (for a 3kW element)
If open circuit, it's dead.

Measure between L & E and N & E.
It should be open circuit (or millions of ohms).
If not, it's dead.

When you say disconnect the wire from the immersion , only the brown bit ( the stat ) has the wires , white/brown connected to it with neutral and earth too, I cant see wires for the immersion seperately.

Sponsored Links
Well i by-passed stat like you said for testing( by joining white and live brown) and it still tripped RCD, so like you said then it will be the elementin immersion, so I tested that but couldnt get any proper readings, anyway I couldnt get the damn thing out.
I tried and tried but it stareted distorting the cylinder so its new cylinder time fitting it tommorrw.
I hope it was the immersion causing the problem after this :LOL:

They aren't easy to get out.

Assuming its in a safe place u could try a blow torch around the joint and then try and unscrew.

They aren't easy to get out.

Assuming its in a safe place u could try a blow torch around the joint and then try and unscrew.
blowtorched it , thats one reason Im changing it too, your not supposed to go haywire on the blowtorch :D , apparently the connection to cylinder is solder underneath and weakens.
Just wondering if when I fit the new cylinder, it doesnt trip the rcd as before that would be a bummer :unsure:

You could still test the element and find out.

No point spending several hundred pounds unnecessarily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back