Stat tripping Rcd.

Sponsored Links
This cylinder stat is trpping RCD , is that a sign that its kaput ?
How do you know that it's the stat, rather than the immersion element itself, which is tripping the RCD? Both whole immersion heaters (including stat) and stats alone are very widely available.

Kind Regards, John

I thought it was one unit the element is more than likely gone but I maybe wrongly said stat.
The whole unit slides out of the cylinder.
What is the price and can an exact replacement be bought?

If it's the actual element itself that needs replacing, and this is more likely, it won't be particularly straight forward to replace yourself, unless you know what you're doing.

Didn't know they still made those Mini Rolls...

Sponsored Links
Yeah get a whole replacement as it looks old.

You need a box spanner thing to unscrew it once you have turned the hot water supply off to the tank and drained a bit down.

Buy Some heat resistant flex too

The element slides out so do I need to take the nut of too.
I was thinking it was a dry pocket job?

The immersions are available in different lengths and wattages so make sure you get the correct one.

Guessing the immersion length needs to be about 3/4 of the height of the tank.

I thought it was one unit the element is more than likely gone but I maybe wrongly said stat. The whole unit slides out of the cylinder.
The stat is the bit in the foreground of your photo with brown and (I think) white-sleeved wires connected to it. If you disconnect the wires, it does, indeed, slide out, but I frankly doubt that is the problem.

The element itself has to be unscrewed from the cylinder (using that massive hexagonal 'nut', which needs a special spanner).
What is the price and can an exact replacement be bought?
You can get immersions (with stats) almost anywhere, from B&Q/Homebase/Wickes etc. to electrical suppliers and plumbing suppliers. They are 'standard', other than the length (so remove the existing one and measure it, then get identical), and are likely to set you back around £10-£20 ... click here for some typical examples.

Kind Regards, John

The brown stat slides out and is easy to replace.

Chances are its the immersion element which requires the whole thing unscrewing from the tank.

You could bypass the stat and disconnect to prove the problem.
If it is the stat don't leave it like that!

When the switch is turned on to heat up cylinder it trips the rcd then, when its off its ok it doesnt trip

... oh, and if you're in a particularly hard water area, make sure you get one of the 'anti-corrosive' types, designed for such water. An 'ordinary' one won't survive for very long at all (a year or two if you're lucky, IME) with very hard water.

Kind Regards John

The brown stat slides out and is easy to replace.

Chances are its the immersion element which requires the whole thing unscrewing from the tank.

You could bypass the stat and disconnect to prove the problem.
If it is the stat don't leave it like that!

Disconnect brown and white wires.

Pull stat out.

Connect brown and white wires together.
If rcd still trips its the element.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back