Statue Cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There isn't a section for this question, so I've chosen as close as.

Our Daughters Headstone has a statue on it that is the colour of sandstone, over the years the statue has become dirty and has attracted algae, this bothers me, I want to clean it, but I don't want to damage it and am wondering what would be the best method product to do this cleaning.

If anyone has any experience they can share it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chirpy.

Sponsored Links
Weathering on a statue is to be expected and cleaning it can only obscure features if done too much.
Maybe a light dry-brushing to get the worst off ...

Algaecide is commonly sold for use in swimming pools, but is also available specifically for stonework. I'd just brush some on with a paintbrush and leave it. There will be no immediate effects but hopefully it will then start to naturally fall away over the following weeks.

One example of many...

Unlike acid-based cleaners, the alkaline based solution will not damage or etch the surface of the stone.

Any sort of brushing would definitely erode the stone. Perhaps imperceptibly, but done a few times if may soften the features.

Sponsored Links
The only passive cleaner I use is thick bleach undiluted, and applied with paint brush. It will produce a clean spot that makes the cleaned area stand out from the surrounding. It will kill biology.

Hi,
Used this on several family headstones, just mixed some up, then used a hand sprayer to apply, no brushing etc required. As stated takes weeks/months for it to work, but it does work. It's now very easy now to find the 'cleaned' headstones in the cemetery. Bit dear, but works.
Just made several Xmas wreaths, will be taking 4 to the cemetery tomorrow.

Wet & Forget Mould, Lichen & Algae Remover​

Attachments

• 1000014060.jpg
    1000014060.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 30
I bought some reconstituted stone window cills, that sat outside for two years before I used them, and went very green. After I'd jet washed them at close quarters, they now look quite old, as the jet wash has knocked the edges off and roughened the surface. So I suggest not doing that :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back