Steam Iron tripping RCD in various rooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if one you nice chaps could help me?

I have an irritating problem (apart from not being an electrician) concerning my mothers Steam Iron tripping out the main RCD switch when she uses the Steam function on her iron. The RCD unit has been in for about 8 years but the problem only started appearing 6 - 7 months ago, and the iron she was using was the same as she'd always used. We suspected a faulty iron so bought a new one, only the same problem is happening? We haven't had a problem with any other electrical item, only the iron.

She uses a spare bedroom upstairs to do the ironing, but we have tried in another bedroom and used a Protected extension lead to a power point downstairs and still the RCD trips out, even the extension lead trips too? Could we have TWO faulty irons?

It doesn't trip the individual RCD's, just the main one with the TEST button on it. It's rated 30ma and has the number WSES 80/2 or something on it. Do we need a higher rated RCD or a call to a local electrician?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
T*U*K said:
It doesn't trip the individual RCD's, just the main one with the TEST button on it.

You are confusing mcb with rcd, mcb is for short circuit / overload protection RCD isn't see here for an rcd

I should say its a "design fault" with the iron, as two are doing it (or pure bad luck)

only solution get a new iron, your rcd is doing its job

It could be a combination of some leakage in the iron, and some leakage in your house wiring. We've got some of that, and it's about 8mA, I know where it is, and I'll sort it someday.

You could get the iron checked by someone with a Portable Appliance Tester.

I would go with a faulty appliance maybe water is getting into the wiring which will trip an RCD in a flash. In my career 99% of the RCD trippings I have had were attributable to either a faulty : kettle, iron, imm heater, shower boiler etc.... the common factor being the mix of water & 240V.

Sponsored Links
as the late Tommy Cooper would say, "if it only trips in those rooms , dont go in those rooms"

the actual joke was something like,

doctor my back hurts in funny places, so my doctor said dont go to those places.

breezer said:
as the late Tommy Cooper would say,
I remembered this one,

Tommy Cooper: " Doctor,Doctor, I have hurts my leg,what shall I do ?"

So his Doctor said "Have you tried limping ?"

Have exactly the same iron problem ! Had a tefal iron and it blew the main fuse - then we bought a rowenta and this kept tripping the downstairs light circuit believe it or not ! Tried another socket in another room and it finally blew up yesterday - I thought it was a faulty circuit but all other appliances in these 2 rooms from these sockets are fine.

BARRYG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back