Steel bath disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a steel bath installed in October. I have put this particular bath in 4 projects over the years and love it. When it was delivered the bath had a chip along the outer rim which would be the side that goes against the wall and wouldn't be visible. The store ordered 3 replacements and they all had chips in varying places, the original one was the lesser of evils. We agreed to a discount (that hasn't yet been given) as we were working to a time frame frame and had all the trades lined up. The store manager commented that she thought the stock was being recalled. Since then it has been a bit of a disaster. A chip appeared under one of the handles. Then about 6 weeks ago I noticed an area of rust on the bottom. I thought we had scratched it somehow but couldn't understand how. Then to my suprise a couple of weeks ago another area of rust appeared in the same position but on the other side. I contacted the store but they haven't been helpful. I also sent pictures to the manufacturer. They are saying the bath could have been dropped or it could have happened by overtightening the legs. Has anyone come across this? I can't see how you can over tighten a leg set by hand, tight enough to cause microfractures in a steel bath? I also have the most conscientious plumber so find it hard to believe that's an option.

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_113126_edit_138374189947633.jpg
    IMG_20240122_113126_edit_138374189947633.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
I had one that chipped where the brackets for the legs were welded on. This happened in the months after fitting. With the first chip I thought something must have fallen into the bath, but with the second one I realised the cause. I put a dab of Humbrol enamel on each spot and the damage was imperceptible, lasted for years.

I suppose it was a hidden manufacturing defect.

The manufacturers and retailers are probably aware of it, because they likely get a lot of complaints.

Was it a major UK brand?

built in stress from the enamel coat cooling unevenly due to the extra mass around the feet perhaps?

Sponsored Links
I had one that chipped where the brackets for the legs were welded on. This happened in the months after fitting. With the first chip I thought something must have fallen into the bath, but with the second one I realised the cause. I put a dab of Humbrol enamel on each spot and the damage was imperceptible, lasted for years.

The manufacturers and retailers are probably aware of it, because they likely get a lot of complaints.

Was it a major UK brand?
Thank you, it sounds exactly where we have the issue. I'll have a look at humbrol.

Was it a major UK brand?
It's a German brand.

Do the marks line up with the legs ?
It's in line with the legs but the legs are further out to the side. It seems to be where the rubber part the bath sits on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_211747_com.android.chrome_edit_1253103423722328.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_211747_com.android.chrome_edit_1253103423722328.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 15

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back