Fixing loose bath panel steel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I had a replacement bathroom. Supply was done by fitter’s preferred supplier but I hadn’t realised at the time they treated supply as to me directly (I deliberately picked a fitter that said they offer supply + fit) so the fitter isn’t interested in coming back to look at issues.

I’ve had a few issues with the fit, mostly resolved, but the one I can’t seem to figure out is the bath panel. I deliberately went for a basic flexible bath panel as reason it all needed replacing was due to a slow leak over many years behind a fixed tiled panel so I wanted to be able to take it off easily to check. However I have a steel bath and water was getting into the “lip” between the panel and the bath and creating rust underneath the bath. It appears there is a bit of the bath “lip” that isn’t covered and so is bare steel. I’ve tried to fix this by jamming silicone into the gap but the kids have knocked the panel as you would expect and it’s come loose. Any suggestions? Do I need a new panel or is there anything I can do to prevent the rusting issue?

I’m not fussed about the look of it (my shoddy silicone!) but don’t want the rust!

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
If you use a Neutral Curing silicone it will stick to the plastic of the panel . Just remove your existing silicone and use masking tape to get straight edges - fill ,and smooth with a wet finger

Usually, flexible bath panels have a flat top piece that slides up underneath the lip of the bath. The bath itself should be enameled right to the leading edge of the rim and then usually a dark enamel underneath, if it isn't then I'd get the rust off of it with, sandpaper and rust prep and then cover it with a bit of metal paint to stop it rusting.

The panel would then usually be held in place up underneath the bath edge by using a wooden baton screwed to the floor, or the L shaped brackets that some come with. Then 3 screws with plastic caps would be used to screw the bottom of the panel to the baton whist holding the panel straight and level up under the top lip of the bath. The panel may need trimmed at the top corners to allow the panel to fit right up under the lip properly as they are usually sized a little tight.

TBH the silicone you have added there shouldn't really be needed

Usually, flexible bath panels have a flat top piece that slides up underneath the lip of the bath. The bath itself should be enameled right to the leading edge of the rim and then usually a dark enamel underneath, if it isn't then I'd get the rust off of it with, sandpaper and rust prep and then cover it with a bit of metal paint to stop it rusting.

The panel would then usually be held in place up underneath the bath edge by using a wooden baton screwed to the floor, or the L shaped brackets that some come with. Then 3 screws with plastic caps would be used to screw the bottom of the panel to the baton whist holding the panel straight and level up under the top lip of the bath. The panel may need trimmed at the top corners to allow the panel to fit right up under the lip properly as they are usually sized a little tight.

TBH the silicone you have added there shouldn't really be needed
Thank you this is really helpful. There’s about an inch all the way along that isn’t enamelled where the panel tucks under which is where water’s getting trapped. No wooden baton / brackets or any kind of fixings it just slots in. The panel rests on the floor and then there’s that big gap so sounds like maybe I need a new panel and then fit it in properly…what a faff! Appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
The panel rests on the floor and then there’s that big gap so sounds like maybe I need a new panel and then fit it in properly…what a faff! Appreciate your help.

The norm when it comes to fitting these flexi panels is driven by the bath height. Most panels are a set height and therefore the bath would usually be set about 10mm lower than the panel, that allows for a tight fit under the baths leading edge and also allow the panel to be cut level with the floor and then secured to the baton, any part that the panel doesn't sit play at the floor then has a little silicone run along it to tidy it up.

Sometime a little may need trimmed off the top to allow the panel to slip up under the lip enough so the usual outwards 'bulge' of the panel sits square/straight along the length of the bath edge.

The alternative these day is a 2 piece melamine type wooden panel that has an extra section that's screwed onto the bottom to accommodate the height of the bath, these tend to be at least 15mm thick and can sit much happier under the wide edge of a metal bath and they are still removeable and they are much easier to adjust to fit.

th

If the leading edge of the bath is rusting though then that needs sealed. Using silicone to stop that isn't really a permanent solution IMO.

The norm when it comes to fitting these flexi panels is driven by the bath height. Most panels are a set height and therefore the bath would usually be set about 10mm lower than the panel, that allows for a tight fit under the baths leading edge and also allow the panel to be cut level with the floor and then secured to the baton, any part that the panel doesn't sit play at the floor then has a little silicone run along it to tidy it up.

Sometime a little may need trimmed off the top to allow the panel to slip up under the lip enough so the usual outwards 'bulge' of the panel sits square/straight along the length of the bath edge.

The alternative these day is a 2 piece melamine type wooden panel that has an extra section that's screwed onto the bottom to accommodate the height of the bath, these tend to be at least 15mm thick and can sit much happier under the wide edge of a metal bath and they are still removeable and they are much easier to adjust to fit.

th

If the leading edge of the bath is rusting though then that needs sealed. Using silicone to stop that isn't really a permanent solution IMO.
Thank you very much. I’ve contacted the fitter as it was only done a year ago - will see if they come out but looks like I’ll be having to fix it when you say it needs to be sealed is that with your previous suggestion of metal paint in the same way you would after cleaning a rusted radiator?

when you say it needs to be sealed is that with your previous suggestion of metal paint in the same way you would after cleaning a rusted radiator?

Yes, exactly, take the panel off, look under the lip and see where it's rusting, run some 180grit along it, then some kurust or similar rust treatment, then some metal paint (Hammerite or similar). Good prep will allow it to be sealed up and stop the water getting to it and rusting

Yes, exactly, take the panel off, look under the lip and see where it's rusting, run some 180grit along it, then some kurust or similar rust treatment, then some metal paint (Hammerite or similar). Good prep will allow it to be sealed up and stop the water getting to it and rusting
Thank you - will see if I hear back from fitter otherwise will give this a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back