Rust under steel bath causing brown stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a steel bath installed about 4 years ago. Brown stains are issuing from the top of the side panel. Taking the panel off I found that it was rust dropping from the underside edge of the top of the bath for about a metre. Water getting into top of the panel was meeting the dropped rust causing the brown stain. What would be the best product to use to resolve the problem?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately replacing the bath is the only permanent solution. It shouldn't be rusting at all.

As you get out of the bath your wet hands aĺlow a bit water to seep on to the top of the side panel, where it meets a particle of dropped rust causing a brown stain.

As it is localised I thought a solution would be to paint it wit h cure rust.. Temporary I know.

Sponsored Links
If you take the bath panel off, remove all loose rust, treat with Kurust or similar, then paint it with something like Hammerite, should be good for years.

Silly thing to do, but I drilled the rim of my enamelled bath to pass the shower pipe through it. Despite my best attempts with Curerust, Hammerite etc. it rusted and the rust spread. I finally solved it by treating it with Curerust, then using this stuff. After the Curerust, I scrapped off all of the loose, Curerusted a second time, the I painted it over the damaged area and the brass plumbing fitting, so the area was completely sealed up, no where for water to get to the steel of the bath. It sets up incredibly hard and so far no reoccurrence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back