Steel beam too short? Looking for advice

Sponsored Links
what would be the difference?

I am not sure. As I recall steel fails when starts to weaken at temperatures above 300°C but is considered "safe" upto 800°C. Timber would be ignited at about 200°C

Do Building Regulations accept structural weakening / failure at temperatures not much above 200°C

Sponsored Links
I am not sure. As I recall steel fails when starts to weaken at temperatures above 300°C but is considered "safe" upto 800°C. Timber would be ignited at about 200°C

Do Building Regulations accept structural weakening / failure at temperatures not much above 200°C
Thick timber sections can be good at resisting fire for certain periods because the outer layers char, protecting the inner layers.
Some timber structures have been designed with overly-large 'sacrificial' timber members to maintain structural stability in a fire.

This is well beyond my ken so feel free to take the pee out of me for asking what may indeed be a silly question.

Looking at the images, it looks like the new brick pillars are simply sitting on the concrete floor. Would that be standard practice?

____edit____ are concrete floors considered to have the same load bearing capacities as the exterior walls?

Last edited:
What’s a longer one cost, about £200?

I’d insist on a longer one.

it looks like the new brick pillars are simply sitting on the concrete floor. Would that be standard practice?

____edit____ are concrete floors considered to have the same load bearing capacities as the exterior walls?

No, and no.

No, and no.

Thanks. Based on the photos do you agree that that look like they are simply sitting on the floor? Or is is possible that they are suitably tied into the existing walls.

In image number one they look like they are sitting on the floor tiles. In later photos it looks like someone has ripped up the floor tiles.

And is there a reason whey they wouldn't have just punched holes in the walls rather than build pillars.

Sorry, I only ask because I have no idea about that side of building.

I guess I am asking if the supports are sufficient regardless of the suitability of the RSJ.

Thanks. Based on the photos do you agree that that look like they are simply sitting on the floor? Or is is possible that they are suitably tied into the existing walls.

In image number one they look like they are sitting on the floor tiles. In later photos it looks like someone has ripped up the floor tiles.

And is there a reason whey they wouldn't have just punched holes in the walls rather than build pillars.

Sorry, I only ask because I have no idea about that side of building.

I guess I am asking if the supports are sufficient regardless of the suitability of the RSJ.

Did you engage a structural engineer directly or did the builders do it?

Ring the SE and ask what his recommendation was in terms of RSJ dimensions and placement, that way you’re getting it all from the horse’s mouth and can direct the builders accordingly.

Did you engage a structural engineer directly or did the builders do it?

Ring the SE and ask what his recommendation was in terms of RSJ dimensions and placement, that way you’re getting it all from the horse’s mouth and can direct the builders accordingly.

Erm, sorry Munzy, I was asking about the job that the OP posted. I know eff all about this stuff but my lay knowledge leads me to assume that things aren't as they should be (with regards to the OP's initial post). I am however happy to be corrected by members who understand more than I do.

Just to clarify, I am not the OP, but I appreciate that threads become muddied by people like me ;)

I can't wait for Tony to ask his engineer to design this Frankenbeam for his next job and to post back the engineer's reply.

Erm, sorry Munzy, I was asking about the job that the OP posted. I know eff all about this stuff but my lay knowledge leads me to assume that things aren't as they should be (with regards to the OP's initial post). I am however happy to be corrected by members who understand more than I do.

Just to clarify, I am not the OP, but I appreciate that threads become muddied by people like me ;)

Ah, sorry! I’ve been dipping in and out and read your last post as if you were the OP.

It’s me that’s confusing things!

My advice to the OP is to speak to the structural engineer and then armed with that information he can direct the builders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back