Steel bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just wondering if a steel plate under a beam will do the same job as a padstone?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply
I have a problem I have put floor joists directly onto the lintel flange and bc have picked up on it. I've spoken to IG and they say I need block course to transfer the load I thought a steel plate would do the same thing but they say no??????????

Hi thanks for the reply
I have a problem I have put floor joists directly onto the lintel flange and bc have picked up on it. I've spoken to IG and they say I need block course to transfer the load I thought a steel plate would do the same thing but they say no??????????
So why don't you wind an acro under the beam and fit a pad stone?

Simples!

Sponsored Links
reads like wrong info.
I think amwc has used a catnic instead of a UB, if the joists are sitting into flange.
BC are asking for padstones is one issue, then loading from direct joists on lintel flange is another.

Hi thanks for the reply
I have a problem I have put floor joists directly onto the lintel flange and bc have picked up on it.
Padstones wont help Nose
Unfortunately if manufacturer says no then you are a bit stuck, either got to lower the lintel or perhaps cut the ends off joists and fit on build in hangers to block above ( if there is one )
What is above, or going above this lintel ?
Is it a new extension etc ?
Or have you perhaps removed a wall ?

Mikric - you have it spot on When I said padstones I meant blocks bc are saying they want block work on the lintel I was wondering if steel plates would do. but they wont.

Hi
Just wondering if a steel plate under a beam will do the same job as a padstone?

Thanks
This kinda throws you off the scent really.. so you really are asking if a steel spreader plates can be used ontop of a lintel which will then take the flooring joists directly on that?

Kinda depends on the lintel actually.. some rely on the bond to the block course on the back to maximise the loading capacity.. kinda like some precast lintel designs..

If IG are saying no then your only real option if you wanna use the same lintel is to put in a block course and then hang the joists from that..

Is the lintel just below first floor or roof? Do you intend to build up blockwork above the lintel on the inner skin? What kinda loading and size of opening are we talking about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back