Steel calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am having to remove a concrete lintel covering a 3m span on a single story extension that my new building control officer (i am on a building notice) picked up on for not quite being strong enough (the old officer now on the sick and likely retiring on health grounds didn't notice) The calculation from the S/E will be at least two weeks because of his work load. The beam will be part of a 7m inner leaf that is supporting the roof (about 1800kg on that one side)
Any guesses on the likely beam size? I am hoping it won't be deeper than 152mm/ 6" with a good bearing of 250mm.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Is this a cavity wall? Dunno about RSJ but prefab lintels will be much easier for you to spec, think you'll struggle to get one less than 225 that'll take the load though (so suspect the same will be true for RSJ). Have a look at Birtley- their catalogue is pretty detailed

Report came back from the SE much quicker than anticipated 152mm x 152mm x 23kg happy days!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back