Where a cable needs to be chased into a wall, it's my understanding that if:-

- it's not directly north, south, east or west of an accessory
or
- it's not right in an internal corner,
or
- it's not within 150mm of the top or the bottom of a wall,
or
- the cable isn't buried 50mm deep from either side of the wall,

then the cable needs protection. Steel capping is the puppy here. My question, does the capping need to be earthed? or is it providing purely mechanical protection?

--

When i took the cladding off the wall in the kitchen, most the plaster fell off. A lighting loop cable comes down from the ceiling for ~500mm before going through the wall into the ceiling void above the utlity room (which is an extension, and has a lower ceiling than the rest of the house).

I'm going to be getting the kitchen plastered very soon and will need to sort this cable out.

Sponsored Links
metal capping does not provide the mechanical protection that is required. Steel conduit is the puppy here

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Not sure how i'll get it round the corner under the lintel but i'm sure i'll work something out!!

What would you earth the conduit with? would the CPC from the (1.5mm) lighting cable be ok or will it need a separate conductor? It wouldn't be that big a deal to connect it to the CPC from the nearest socket, if that would be better.

Strikes me from a logical point of view that the CPC is good enough.

If you connect the conduit correctly to the back box ie;bush and coupler, then earth the box job done.

Would another way of getting round this problem be to surface mount a junction box on the wall? Thus covering the possibility of the cable running both horizontally and vertically from it. (so you put the junction box on the wall which then lets any future worker know that there may be a cable either vertically or horizontally from it.

Just an idea.

Theoretically I think that would comply but the aesthetics of having surface mounted jb's everywhere does not appeal to me. Maybe you could paint them all different colours as a modern art idea.

slippyr4 said:
- it's not within 150mm of the top or the bottom of a wall,

There is no zone at the bottom of the wall only in internal corners and at ceiling level @150mm from the junction

Doesn't provide earthed mechanical protection though, which is what this topic is about...

I think you will find the title of the topic is 'Steel Capping'. I was referring to the benefit of plastic capping over steel capping in general, where it's use is appropriate.

BJS_Spark said:
I think you will find the title of the topic is 'Steel Capping'. I was referring to the benefit of plastic capping over steel capping in general, where it's use is appropriate.
well why didnt you say that

the clue to the subject of the post is in the OP's opening message - dunno what kind of forum it would be if we just read the title and answered without reading the body of the message

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back