All about conduit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading various web pages and pdf docs on regulations governing sinking wires into plaster walls and am a little confused so wonder if I can clarify some points with the guru's on this site :D

I may be completely wrong with the following but here goes :

If a cable run is vertical or horizontal from a socket (for example) then the conduit containing the cable can be the pvc oval stuff.

If a cable run needs to go outside these areas then protective insulation is required, for example, steel capping. The steel capping would need to be earthed though and I assume this would be done at the end of the run in, say, the ceiling void.

Please, dont flame me if I'm completely wrong :oops:

Sponsored Links
I do not think earthed capping is really what the regs intend.

They want to see earthed steel conduit, SWA cable, or MI used outside the zones.

Oval for a horizontal ot vertical run from an accessory.

I think that if your in line with the accessory your ok as thats in the zone but if you go out of line with the accessory or are not 15cm from the ceiling or corner wall then you will either need to be 5cm (50mm) deep or have metal conduit.

Thanks for you replies.

The reason I'm asking is that I am installing a seperate oven and hob. The control unit will be positioned between them. Where the oven is wired it isnt a problem as its about the same level as the cu. My problem is with the hob wiring, as I need to go down and then along to the hob or go diagonally to it. Whichever way I go it means entering 'no-mans-land'!!!

Would I need to use the steel conduit for the horizontal section if, as it will be, the cable is underneath the worktop so out of nail hamering range??

Sponsored Links
Down, then along is in the zone.

The down run is in the vertical zone of the cooker switch, and the horizontal run to the outlet is in the outlets horizontal run.

And if it is on the surface, and could not possibly be mistaken for something you can nail or drill into, none of that applies.
regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back