Steel Column Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Motion Beam Pad Foundation Connection
We're having a single story extension to the rear of our property approx 7m wide, by 3.5m depth. A structural engineer has provided calculations for the necessary steel including a motion beam/steel goal posts. The motion beam columns require 1x1m x50cm deep mass pad foundations, and will be fixed using 4x M20 chemical anchors via a 15mm welded base plate.

With it being the rear wall of the house we're opening, this pad foundation will be under the existing foundations- approx 6inch strip. The strip foundations will obviously be in the way of the columns baseplate fixing to the pad foundation... my questions are:

1. I assume to overcome this we simply cut the relevant section of strip foundation to enable the column and base plate to be fixed directly on the pad foundation.

2. Would I be better mass filling with concrete up and around the strip foundations or leaving a gap between the two and then dry filling?

when discussing with the building inspector, he suggested simply pouring the pad foundation up around the sides of the strip foundation and then fixing the column base plate through the existing foundation. I'd have thought this wouldn't be as secure of a fixing as removing the section of foundation and fitting direct to the new pad foundation?

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Sponsored Links
Eh?
You just dig a hole and fill it with concrete. Any crappy old foundations in your way - just hoof em out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back