Steel framed mezzanine fire regs confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Apologies if I'm posting something that has already been answered here, but I've had a good look through the forum topics and can't find anything to help!

I have a 15' high second bedroom that I'm trying to put a mezzanine level in to. I've already got a 2.4(L)x2.2(W)x2.1(H)m steel frame up and ready to fit out... but in researching various plasterboard options I'm a bit worried that I've overlooked building regs! I didn't think it's something I even needed to think about!
About the property, I'm on the top floor of a block of flats (new build) with concrete floors.
As the frame is freestanding, and not bearing any load as such, will I be alright to just box in the uprights as I wish?
If I do need to comply to some sort of regs, where can I find them, and will it need to be inspected/signed off?

Sorry if I sound such a novice... it's probably because I am!

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Goodness, where to start!

Just a few pointers:

your proposal does need a Building Regulations application, because it will be imparting some load on to the structure at some points:

It must be built so that at least 50% of the floor of the bedroom can be overlooked from the mezzanine:

all columns, beams and the floor must have 1/2 hour fire resistance.:

the distance between the foot of the stairs to the door to the room must be <3m;

the gallery must be protected by a suitable balustrade.

Look for further details in Approved Documents B (fire) and K (stairs).

Thanks so much for this...

Definitely not the news I wanted! So, the load it will impart is on to the concrete floor?
I think I'm already in trouble as it's over 1/2 the size of the total room...!
Could you give some more info on the application process?

Thanks, once again.

Mike

Could you give some more info on the application process?

Steady on a minute!
Making an application to your building control department, and paying their fee, is the easy bit; it's what happens next that will make sticking dress-making pins under your fingernails seem preferable.

The fire-resistance part can be solved fairly easily with plasterboard;
If you have covered >50% of the room, you might be able to get a compromise from your building inspector (eg with sprinklers) as fire regs allow alternative solutions.
I feel the difficult part will be structural. Your frame may not be all that heavy, but you have to allow for the live load as well. This will impart considerable point loads on the concrete floor, which probably won't be designed to take them. How could you prove it would?

If you did go down the building-control route, consider using private inspectors instead of the council. They are often - how can one put it - more 'flexible' in their interpretation of the regulations.
As long as you pay their fee promptly.

Sponsored Links
Blimey! All I wanted to do was hoist a double bed up in the air by 2 meters...
I'm not sure the sprinkler idea will work - being a leaseholder in the building is going to get the builder (bellway) involved I think... and that is going to cause even bigger headaches!
I could reduce the size to less than 50%, but thats going to compromise the original idea too much I think.
Hadn't thought of the point load too much, as the floors are poured concrete to about 1' I think.
I wonder if there might be a way around this, maybe making a timber framed bed-frame that happened to be 2m off the ground...?

Oh what a can of worms I've opened, and after £500 of steelwork.

Damn.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Mike

Could you consider some long length sof steel beam under the legs, to spread the load over a bigger area of the floor?

I know what I'd do in your situation, but of course it's your call.
From many years of experience, I also know that the local building inspector won't be calling around every evening to check that you haven't by chance built a mezzanine floor in your bedroom.

Now I'm not sure what to do!
The points of the columns are actually 180x180mm if that makes any difference with the loads?
Do you know the implications of regs vs letting out the property in the future?

My head hurts!

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back