Steel garage door painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the threads I've read have the "this thread was x years ago..." caution at the end so here's a new one.

1995 vintage up and over. I've rubbed down the outside, down to bare metal in a few small areas. I assume I've therefore gone through the galvanised coating and wonder what to apply to these.

I have Fertan and Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, but don't these need some actual rust to work on? Having said that the BH says it can be applied to non-rusted bare metal. I haven't seen any rust on the entire door.

I have some exterior "smooth metal paint" from Screwfix so was going to try that as a first coat and see whether the result is acceptable. If not, should I be going gloss or satin?

I assume note 5 on the label assumes the original primer is still intact, i.e. on a new door. The outside face is not as nice as the inside of course so an undercoat would serve to even out the surface would it not? Especially as its going from brown to white.

Many Thanks - braniff
20200705_095341.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back