Steel purlin calculator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

does anyone know of span and load tables for steel L-section purlins?

I'm considering replacing my roof covering and need to know whether the purlins could safely take the weight of the new covering.

The purlins span 3300 mm between trusses at 1300 mm centres. They are 64 x 51 x 6 mm in section with the long side at right angles to the roof covering. The roof has a pitch of 22 degrees.

The new covering would have a mass of 16 kg/m^3 (not including any new rafters).

Sponsored Links
Is this some kind of corrugated sheet material roof on a pre-fab building?

If so, how does the existing material weight compare the the proposed?

Is this some kind of corrugated sheet material roof on a pre-fab building?

If so, how does the existing material weight compare the the proposed?

Yes, sort of, it's a corrugated asbestos cement covering on a steel framed BISF house. Looking it up, asbestos cement has a density of 1,550 to 1,950 kg/m^3.

I'm not sure of the exact thickness of the sheets, but assuming 1750 kg/m^3 and a thickness of 5mm that would be 8.75kg/m^2, not accounting for the extra weight of overlapping and the corrugations (ie calculating it as one flat sheet).

Like this:
cache_2412524785.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Proposal is to add an 18 mm OSB3 or ply deck with a standing seam metal covering such as Euroclad Vieo or Tata Colorcoat, if the weight is not too much.

As it's an unusual structure for a domestic roof there's little information - it's more like a warehouse or barn roof but on a smaller scale.

Edit: some sources give weights of 16 kg/m^2 or more for asbestos cement sheeting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back