Timber beam to support purlin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a pitched roof kitchen/conservatory extension done 11 years ago, single storey, 15 degree pitch, and we are now considering taking out the dividing wall between kitchen and conservatory, and removing the ceiling in the kitchen to give a more open feel.

We paid for the services of a structural engineer to design a steel beam to support the purlin, which in turn supports the 3.8m (approx) kitchen rafters, 38 x 100, spaced at 400 mm and redland tiles above. The 2.2m purlin is 50 x 175, and positioned at about 1.5m from the top of the roof.

However, wives being what they are, mine has decided it might "look better" if we had a wooden beam horizontally, seated on padstones on the existing masonry beneath the purlin, supporting it from below.

I sent an email to our SE, asking what size timber beam we might be able to use for a span of 3.4 m or so, or even if it was feasible, but as he's already been paid, he hasn't got back to me on that. So I was wondering if any of you kind souls would have an answer.

The steel specified is 152 x 152 x 23. I'm thinking we might have to use a flitch beam, or maybe 2 (bolted together lengthwise) 100 x 300 beams?

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions gratefully received.

Trev

Attachments

• horizontal beam3.jpg
    horizontal beam3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 263
  • steel proposal6.jpg
    steel proposal6.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back