Vaulted ceiling roof beam size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -
first post so just like to say thanks for all the useful info I have been reading.
I am building a glazed extension with a vaulted ceiling, the roof will be triple glazed sealed units. The length of the roof beam between supports is 5.4m, the width between wall plates is 4.4m.
I intended running a timber ridge beam but I am now looking at a steel beam as timber was getting huge.
It's a long time since i completed my engineering degree and haven't used the knowledge since ! Anyway, I calculate that I need a 203x102x23UB ridge beam.
Running from this to the wall plate (no purlins) will be 125 x 75mm rafters @ 900crs. supporting the triple glazed units (using 30Kg m2).
Both ends of the ridge beam will be supported by brick piers.
Can anyone give me a thumbs up to these calcs??

Sponsored Links
you mention unsupported ridge beam length, the distance between wall plates and 5"x 3" rafters at 900mm centres. what is the actual length of the rafter, or at least the pitch of the roof?

hi,
thanks for the reply, the actual unsupported rafter length is 2.4m with a roof pitch of 25 degrees.
I intend birdmouthing the rafters over the steel at the ridge and at the wall plate.
cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back