Vaulted roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I was wondering if anyone who was asked to work on or quote for a vaulted roof (no joists/open ceiling) would expect to have plans or some kind or design to follow. Ive been told that as the span is less than 2m then just 3 ridge beams is fine and Building control would not need any drawings etc.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It depends on how good the carpenter is.

You don't need plans for building control, just a building notice.

That's two of us that don't know what you mean about "3 ridge beams". o_O

It depends on how good the carpenter is.

You don't need plans for building control, just a building notice.

That's two of us that don't know what you mean about "3 ridge beams". o_O

The plans would be for the roofer to work from.
For building control I am asking if they would want to see workings out or at least something to say that an engineer has given it the ok with regards to spread, point loads etc.

Sponsored Links
I used a structural engineer to provide calcs for the council (under a building notice), for my vaulted roof, along with the calcs was the spec of rafter sizing needed to build it.

I'm guessing the 3 ridges might be three ridge boards bolted together instead of using a metal ridge beam.

My span was 4.6m from memory, this had a steel which was larger than I had anticipated.

Sorry I didnt get an email to notify me.

Reply to Woody. If you apply for regs approval and its for something out of the ordinary they ask for calculations etc from a qualified person.

Reply to Mr Chibs. I did the same a few years ago for a 4m length. And that little bit of experience is what prompted me my to start the thread.

Hopefully this 3 wooden beams means the rafters can nail into the sides of the beam and not sit on top and therefore the ceiling not have any protrusions coming down.

No worries.

As I've discovered when you don't have the 'protrusions' it's difficult to site light roses and alarms as the bases have nothing to screw into.

I've got one beam boxed in and another room, non boxed, just makes another job...:cautious:

Sorry I didnt get an email to notify me.

Reply to Woody. If you apply for regs approval and its for something out of the ordinary they ask for calculations etc from a qualified person.

Reply to Mr Chibs. I did the same a few years ago for a 4m length. And that little bit of experience is what prompted me my to start the thread.

Hopefully this 3 wooden beams means the rafters can nail into the sides of the beam and not sit on top and therefore the ceiling not have any protrusions coming down.
A vaulted roof is not out of the ordinary, unless you use some whacky timber sizes or out of the ordinary design.

I still don't understand what you mean by "3 ridge beams".

As I've discovered when you don't have the 'protrusions' it's difficult to site light roses and alarms as the bases have nothing to screw into.

I do downlights these days. Way more forgiving on my drylining :)

still don't understand what you mean by "3 ridge beams".

Must mean 3 bolted together? Giving 8x6? Beam.

Last edited:
Are you chopping holes in the insulation for the downlights? my BCO didn’t like this, so I did a glorified pendant.

Are you chopping holes in the insulation for the downlights? my BCO didn’t like this, so I did a glorified pendant.

Thats brought back some memories. The last time was in about 2007.
I had 4 inches of celetex in between the joists and 2 inches under. The Electrician said cut a hole in it. The Officer said no holes. I cut holes as I was concerned about fires. Luckily I didnt get around to finishing the plaster before winter came. Because the first cold day and the whole house was freezing and you could fly a kite in any of the rooms.
So I could unscrew the boards and had to carefully get the celotex down and patch it with cuts of celetex, foam and silver tape. Nightmare, took days but could have been worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back