size of purlin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a the roof on a 100 year old extention to my house. The present purlins are 7x3 inch. The length is 4.6 metres and the rafters are 3 metres long at roughly 45 degrees. Can anyone advise on a suitable size for replacement purlins please?

Sponsored Links
will the purlin be supported mid-span?

or, you could use 6" x 3" rafters and do away with the purlin maybe?

we recently installed 75mm x 200mm C16 purlins over a similar span but these were supported mid-span either by steel and 100mm x 100mm props or masonry.

There is nothing to support them midway. The old rafters are 3x2 and I was hoping to use 4x2 C16 as I happen to have quite a lot. Rather than instal ceiling joists and a conventional ceiling I would like to have a vaulted ceiling and have teh purlins as a feature. If this cannot be done, could I use say,a 7x2 ridge board (I'm thinking about the roof sagging and pushing the walls out. By the way, the tiles are old clay double romans.

Put a ridge purlin in, span the rafters from wallplate to ridge and bird beak over both, then there's no risk of spread. That way, you can put a purlin in as a feature, of any size you like, as it won't be doing anything other than looking pretty.

Now you just need the size of a ridge purlin... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That sounds like the ideal solution. Any suggestions where I might find info on the size required for the ridge purlin lplease?!

Oh why do I do this, I have customers who pay for this kind of info...!

Ok, give me:
  • span from eaves to eaves
    span of ridge purlin
    roof pitch
    roof covering
And I'll size it for you. Would you prefer timber, flitch timber, steel or glulam?

Thats very kind of you. Distance between eaves is 4.8 metres. The span of the purlin ridge is the same. The roof angle is 45 degrees and the covering is clay pantiles (Double Roman, they call them round here but I don't know if that is a just a local name.) I hadn't thought of anything but timber. I presume the flitch beam would be smaller dimension so lighter to handle, but more expensive. Or am I way off the mark with that guess?

You're very trusting, you don't know who I am or what I do! However, I am a chartered SE, so I'm not blagging it, honest :)

You need 2/50x225C24 timbers with a 10x225 mild steel flitch plate sandwiched between, bolted at nominal 600 centres mid depth along the length, with 2M12 bolts vertically at 1/3 depth over the supports either end (ie 50 in from the end of the beam. Engineering brick padstone under the beam either end.

Alternative in just timber is 4/50x275C24 bolted together M12 at 600 along the length - that size of timber is probably difficult to get hold of, though.

Steel alternative is 178x102UB19 with 100x50sw plate coach bolted M10 to top flange at staggered 600 nominal centres.

Rafters 50x125C24 at 400 centres, bird beaked over wallplate and ridge beam.

Add in any size of purlin that you want, purely as a feature.

Thank you and that will be £150 plus VAT please :)

I did an hour lesson on flitched beams, and IIRC the plate should not be as deep as the timbers - to allow for shrinkage and so that the beam bears on the timbers and not the plate :p

Correct - in floors, for example, where shrinkage may be an issue and the plate ends up dinking the floor or ceiling finishes. Not a problem up as a ridge purlin, hence no need to make it 25 less depth. you think I don't think of these things???! :LOL:

Thank you very much. I never thought it would end up that big! I'll round up a few helpers with muscles. My cheques in the post. :)

One more thing please..how long do you reckon the bearing has to be at each end please? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back