Steel shower tray advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for a shower tray for our shower room renovation. I stumbled across the reassuringly expensive Bette steel shower trays as they happened to be the dimensions I was after (750 x 750) which would fit perfectly into our existing niche, once I've boarded etc. All other trays seem to be 760 x 760, and then I'd have to have the boards come down over the edges rather than behind....

I also quite like the idea of a tray that essentially has no risk of cracking so was tempted by a steel one anyway.

This is the one I was looking at.

https://www.bathroomsuppliesonline.com/bette-ultra-750-x-750-x-25mm-square-shower/

Getting any kind of response from Bette support would appear fruitless when it comes to asking anything technical, and the installation instructions don't really help that much either- is there anything special about installing these trays, or in fact easier than stone resin as there is less risk of cracking? Can I just place it on the [secure and level] floorboards and then just tile over the edges/seal as normal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If trays are fitted correctly they don't crack. Well very unlikely. They also come with warranty.
Skill builder on YouTube made a brilliant tutorial covering this topic so go look it up.

Thanks- I did install a stone resin tray in our other shower room so as you say hopefully the risk is minimal if installed as per manufacturers recommendations etc.

That said I went for that steel tray in the end for this project, from a local bathroom shop rather than online which worked out a little bit cheaper. They also gave some advice on how to install which in fairness sounds very simple indeed. Still expensive though but then it did appeal that there is essentially no risk whatsoever that it is going to crack...

Sponsored Links
:oops: £555 in the link, how much was it from your local supplier

Erm...with the matching waste it was 720. Plus no postage to pay obviously so a saving there.

I'd best not mention how much our smart toilet was that I'm putting in...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a shower tray for our shower room renovation. I stumbled across the reassuringly expensive Bette steel shower trays as they happened to be the dimensions I was after (750 x 750) which would fit perfectly into our existing niche, once I've boarded etc. All other trays seem to be 760 x 760, and then I'd have to have the boards come down over the edges rather than behind....

I also quite like the idea of a tray that essentially has no risk of cracking so was tempted by a steel one anyway.

This is the one I was looking at.

https://www.bathroomsuppliesonline.com/bette-ultra-750-x-750-x-25mm-square-shower/

Getting any kind of response from Bette support would appear fruitless when it comes to asking anything technical, and the installation instructions don't really help that much either- is there anything special about installing these trays, or in fact easier than stone resin as there is less risk of cracking? Can I just place it on the [secure and level] floorboards and then just tile over the edges/seal as normal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Boards need to over hang. Behind is likely to cause leaks .

Yes I have 2 mira flight trays that have up stands the boards are cut to allow the trays upstands to push flush with the face of the boards, the tiles then go over the up stands to the bottom top edge of the tray body leaving the last 5mm for silicone.

Right. I thought it was regarded best to have a tray up against the backer boards rather than leave a void, and then tiles which will obviously overhang the tray edge by around 10mm i.e. thickness of tile/adhesive?

Last edited:
The mira ones with upstands fit like this
trayre.JPG

You can get them with either 2 upstands or 4 upstands so all the way around which is what I have got so that the cubical sits inside the upstand and is impossible for it to leak under the cubical. I left a 10mm gap between the glass and the up stand to allow cleaning

ah yes that does look like the ultimate leak free solution.

With this one, having redone my measurements I essentially have a choice of 6mm hardie on 2 of the shower niche walls (I will put in loads of extra noggins so centres will be reduced, to make sure it is rigid) into which the tray will slot in almost to the mm, or 12mm which will overhang the tray by around 6mm.

Right. I thought it was regarded best to have a tray up against the backer boards rather than leave a void, and then tiles which will obviously overhang the tray edge by around 10mm i.e. thickness of tile/adhesive?
No void with usual methods .

Steel enamel? IMHO That will eventually get a crack in the enamel and then you get rust.
Because the enamel will be done very thinly - because that's the way it's done these days, to the bottom dollar.

Steel enamel? IMHO That will eventually get a crack in the enamel and then you get rust.
Because the enamel will be done very thinly - because that's the way it's done these days, to the bottom dollar.

Have you actually seen this happen with a decent quality steel shower tray or just hypothesising?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back