Sunken Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I have bought a 800mm x 800mm x 150mm deep Bette stainless steel shower tray to be set 50mm BELOW floor level in our new loft bathroom. This is because we need to provide extra headroom under the sloping ceiling.

The lip of the tray will sit on a timber "frame" - treated 90mm x 50mm. The "frame" is securely fixed to: on one side - a plastered brick outer wall, and on the opposite side -the flitch plate and on the two other sides: the 200mm deep joists which were put in when the loft floor was built (2011).

The shower waste pipe will run parallel with the joists and join the soil pipe in the bathroom below.

12mm backerboard (covering three shower walls) comes down to meet the supporting "frame". There is a gap of no more than 10mm around the tray edges.

The backerboardwill be tiled - right down to the tray (but not touching) as well as sit over the tray to help prevent any ingress of water.

I want to make sure the area immediately around the tray remains waterproof and watertight.
Should I "cushion" the lip of the tray where it sits on its "frame"?
Is there a special silicone to seal the tray edge/timber frame, backerboard meeting points?

Any other advice, please!

[/b]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back