Steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I recently bought my first house, very pleased to be on the property ladder.

I bought the house as a bit of a project, needs a fair bit of restoration/modernisation.

Whats are your opinions on a steel roof? I went to a trade show recently and a company called Corus where exhibiting a product called Colorcoat Urban (I think?!), its a standing seam product, looked like you could probably fit it yourself. Has anybody had any experience? Or know any other companies doing something similar?

Looking to try it out on my garage first... its in need of repair and obviously a small area so should be a good starting point.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Looks interesting, would be perfect for garages and outbuildings. As for the main dwelling well that that depends entirely on style/age of house and location.
I would use the product if it were readily available off the shelf at a sensible price.

Just to comment on the viability of a steel roof : they are very common here in the French Alps, being the replacement for the old "corrugated-tin" . Should add that they are epoxy-coated

There is a standard 10-year guarantee but actual life far exceeds that.

Since the panel-size here is 2500 x 1200, you would need to be confident handling it on the roof or looking forward to an unexpected flying-lesson :eek:

It is all well and good using innovative products but you also need to think about ongoing maintenance and availability of 'spare parts'.

I'm all for advancement but you also need to be practical.

Sponsored Links
Saw something like this on Grand Designs a few years ago - they had a special machine to fold and seal the seams.

Think I'd also be inclined to look around the local area to see if it would suit. If you intend to move up the property ladder, you want to be sure that you haven't put a white elephant up there that makes it harder to sell, especially in the current market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back