Step advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently I've removed the carpet from our stairs with the intention of sanding them back and staining.
But prior to us living in the house, we found that they must have had carpet running down the centre of the stairs.
I've had to sand away white paint on either side.
Unfortunately, after hours and hours of sanding there is a pronounced darker middle area running down the steps.

I've included a photo as reference.
20210808_150019.jpg

If I stain, will this still be pronounced?
Is there a way to rectify this, and sanding doesn't seem to help?

Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links
If you stain the dark band will still be there, and unless you ebonising the stairs or using something like Jacobean oak (dark brown) stain. It is caused, I think, by the timber on the outsides being bleached whilst the middle was covered with carpet.

You could try stripping any remaining finish (probably by sanding) then bleaching the darker middle portions with a 2-pack wood bleach (not a domedtic bleach). It may take 2 or 3 weaker applications to get the required level of bleaching - more controllable than trying to get a match in one application

After bleaching it may be necessary to restain to get the desired tone. I'd suggest a water based stain which can be used to build up the desired tone by multiple, weaker applications

Thanks very much for your reply, has no idea that wood bleach was a thing.
Coincidentally, my other half does want a very dark stain, so I suppose it's taking a risk without bleaching or not.

If she wants a dark tone you could always go for a water based stain where the depth of colour is normally built up using multiple diluted coats rather than a single dark coat. That way it might be possible to gradually build the coloutr in the outer edges as well as feathering in to the darker middle before applying the final all-over stain coat(s). A clear lacquer of appropriate glossiness can be used to protect the stained wood

I cannot emphasise enough the need to remove as much finish as possible as well as the need to dewax/deoil all surfaces to be stained. After sanding vacuum out the surfaces as well as giving them a wipe over with a clean cotton cloth (rag) dampened in white spirits to lift any remsining residues and dust

Sponsored Links
If she wants a dark tone you could always go for a water based stain where the depth of colour is normally built up using multiple diluted coats rather than a single dark coat. That way it might be possible to gradually build the coloutr in the outer edges as well as feathering in to the darker middle before applying the final all-over stain coat(s). A clear lacquer of appropriate glossiness can be used to protect the stained wood

I cannot emphasise enough the need to remove as much finish as possible as well as the need to dewax/deoil all surfaces to be stained. After sanding vacuum out the surfaces as well as giving them a wipe over with a clean cotton cloth (rag) dampened in white spirits to lift any remsining residues and dust

Thanks for the advice.
Really appreciate it.

Potentially the noise of your kids barrelling up and down the (uncarpeted) stairs in their Sunday best clogs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in a house where the guy next door decided to modernise, he got rid of all the carpets in the hallway and stairs. It went from never hearing him too listening to him on every step of his hallway and stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back