Sterling 10 alarm keeps going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks .......really need some help. I've had my Sterling 10 alarm in for 8yrs now which is wired up through the mains. But the past 5 nights it keeps going off for 20 minutes and it always seems to be between 9pm-11pm. I've put the master code in and tried the user code as well but the alarm won't go off until the 20 minutes have passed? :confused: On the LCD display it says a tamper fault but it's not getting tampered with. Don't know if the battery might need changing but I don't know how to do that?

If anyone can please help it would be really appreciated as the neighbours are starting to get annoyed (which is understandable as it is a very loud alarm when it goes off) and someone called the police last night but I never got in until after 12am and there was a card through the door from the police about the alarm!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
check the system log to find out what is causing the tamper fault,

and change the battery, they have a design life of about 4 to 5 years

any further info post again

The tamper could be caused by any number of problems.
It could be caused by a break to wires leading to a sensor or it could br caused by microswitches not fully closed on either the endstation/control panel cover or the external sounders cover being loose or the unit being loose against the wall.

I would check the siren is solid and secure and the enstation/panel cover is secure first.

Then you will need to isolate each zone to find the source of the tamper if checking the covers fails.

If it won't accept your code then it probably needs re-booting. Pyronix are notorious for getting gremlins in. Better getting someone out.

Sponsored Links
It's the bell box tamper that is at fault here.

Classic signs, bit of hot weather (cooling off around 9pmish), won't silence with the user code, and I'd suspect it's Pyronix's Belle external sounder that has been fitted (they flogged them as a kit with the Sterling 10, and are notorious for causing tamper faults after a few years)

Get a replacement, and better still, a maintenance agreement with a proper alarm company to avoid problems like this happening again.

Count yourself lucky you were'nt on holiday and came home to a bill from the council's environmental dept for silencing your alarm!

yaleguy3";p="1658075 said:
The tamper could be caused by any number of problems.
It could be caused by a break to wires leading to a sensor or it could br caused by microswitches not fully closed on either the endstation/control panel cover or the external sounders cover being loose or the unit being loose against the wall.

I would check the siren is solid and secure and the enstation/panel cover is secure first.

Firstly thanks for all your replies.........Monday night I was still able to set the alarm but on Tuesday it wouldn't set at all when I was leaving the house it kept saying tamper.

So I done as you said above yaleguy3 and checked the endstation/panel which is secure and the bell siren which is also secure against the wall but while doing so I noticed that a wire has been cut and hanging down through the bottom where there is a small gap??? It's a brown wire if that helps! So it looks like someone has silenced it for me lol.......Would it be easy enough to rewire it myself? :confused:

Yep scott1980 it's a Pyronix's Bell external sounder and I think your bang on about what's been happening when it's getting cooler at night and that's why it's been going off but as I said above someone has cut the brown wire and silenced it themselves!!

I've tried to phone the engineer that installed the alarm but to no avail, so I'd probably be better to get another engineer out to get it fixed eh, as the house is insecure now :(

Thanks for the help, really appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back