Sterling 10 bell symbol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was going to ask for help but I seem to have fixed it so I am posting this for info. I have a Sterling 10 alarm that is 9 years old. I came home this week to find the key pad beeping and a bell symbol on the display. I read through the manual and there is no reference to this symbol. I read a manual from the Pyronix website for the newer version of the keypad and it labeled the bell symbol as "alarm" but there was no other info.
I bought a new battery thinking that was the problem I also had a look at the fuse to see if that was it. I switched off the power and took out the fuse. The keypad went off (dark with no display). When I put it back together the bell symbol has gone and it all seems to be working fine. Touch wood!
I hope this has fixed it and if so I hope this posting helps someone else. I read a lot of other posts on this subject and they helped me.

Sponsored Links
You did fit the new battery didn't you? I bet that was your problem.

No, I put the old battery back in. It seems as though thaking the power off has reset it, and 24 hours on it is still fine.
I intend to take the battery back to Maplins and buy a spare from ebay (for a third of the price they charged me) just in case.

Sponsored Links
I am a bit surprised at the agression that seems to be out there.
I am not an alarm engineer, I know very little about batteries, I know very little about servicing alarm systems. I thought I would see if it was something simple before I call in an expert. Isn't that the point of a website called DIYnot? I went onto this site, found very good advice. I thought I had resolved it and wanted to share my experience in the hope that it would help someone else.

I don't know what 10020345 means. I didn't know that the battery should be changed after 4 years. I am not arguing with anyone.

I take it that buying batteries from ebay is not a good idea. Thanks for that advice.

The battery I bought from Maplins was a Yuasa NP2.8 - 12 12V, 2.8Ah and it cost £37. is that good value? If not where should I buy one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back