Sticking a rubber backed mat to a carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mat on my carpet (very short fibres) that's forever slipping around whenever my wheeled office chair is moved. I have some old double sided 'carpet tape' and that works a bit but the adhesion isn't good enough and it soon loses its grip.

Any ideas please on some really strong and sticky double sided tape which would do the job?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rubber backed mats with smooth backings are always going to move around on carpet to some extent; they're really only designed for smooth floors. You can get mats with a textured backing, often called a claw or gripper backing (just a pattern of small knobbly bits on the back), but this will only limit the movement. Using a sticky tape or underlay for the mat will only reduce the movement at best.

If you're using the mat to protect your floor from office chair wheels, then your best bet is to use a specially designed chair mat for carpeted floors;
https://www.firstmats.co.uk/collections/office-chair-mats
The spikes on the back of the mat and the weight of the chair mean it'll never move - I'm sitting on one right now and haven't moved it once since putting it on the floor around a year ago!

FRECO113048EP_4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back