Need to stick down some carpet back down after cutting it open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I had a plastic bottle leak into my carpet over a day or two (I didn't know that it had a leak). Only noticed it due to the musty smell that started stinking out the room. Thinking that it probably had got to the underlay I cut a T shaped opening in the carpet and, of course, the underlay was also wet. Thankfully not a huge amount of water leaked, maybe the equivalent of two or three mugs, but it was wet enough. Now that I've cut the carpet open, kept it lifted up with some jammed in plastic bottle tops and kept it open, it's drying out nicely, helped at times by a hairdryer.

The cuts aren't huge - the bar of the 'T' is about 14 inches across, the vertical bar of the 'T' is about 8 inches long.

Now my question - what is the best way to stick the carpet back down? It's an old carpet in an untidy room so the job doesn't need to look great. I was thinking of using some single or double sided carpet tape placed underneath and overlapping the cuts, them pushing it back down.

Or is there a better method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's what I'd do.
The underlay may be breaking up and dusty/ hard to stick to

I might paint a bit of dilute pva onto the hessian of the carpet and let it dry, so that tape sticks.
Then use gaffer tape/ duct tape stuck together in a row of threes to increase the surface area and just stick the carpet to itself

Thanks, I'll give that a go in a few days when I'm sure that everything has dried out completely.

Personally I wouldn't have cut the carpet in the first place, why didn't you just roll it back from the wall.
But I suppose what is done is done now.
Carpet tape is probably your best bet now, but it won't be a n invisible repair and will probably need re-doing at some point in the future. the proper fix is to use carpet seam tape and a seaming iron.

Sponsored Links
It would have been extremely difficult to roll it back from the wall given all the full cabinets, etc in the room. It's a messy room anyway so not a major problem with a couple of cuts. :) Thanks for the advice re the tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back