Eek! Possible to reattach carpet backing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hoping you can give me some advice please...

Our bathroom flooded and soaked about a foot of the (wool loop pile) bedroom carpet outside the door.

I lifted the carpet and dried out the underlay and the carpet itself with hairdryers on cool settings.

The carpet itself looks ok (a tiny bit shrunken in one direction, possibly a little bit stretched in the other) but the hessian (I think) backing has detached from the carpet itself, so when I try to re-lay the carpet it won't stick to the grippers.

Is there anything I can do to reattach? Would it have been latex holding the backing to the carpet? It seems to have disintegrated where the carpet was wet. Can I reapply this? If not, could I glue down this bit of carpet? The actual wool honestly looks fine so really want to save it if possible. Would a fitter be able to help?

I've called my insurance company but think the excess will eat up most of the repair / replacement costs... Typically is brand new carpet - fitted week before Christmas!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
In my opinion - No!
..... even you manage to re- glue the backing, it will never look right. I also suspect that you will soon start getting a very bad smell.
You should contact the shop where you purchased your carpet from, they may well have a small roll end (just big enough to change the landing only)

however...

One of the fitters on here may advise differently (I am a retailer)....

Good luck

Hi Lymmranger

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately is the bedroom carpet so is a whole room that would need re-doing, not just the landing...

Day 3 since the 'incident' and no smell as yet, but won't attempt to re-lay the carpet until at least a week has passed so can keep checking it.

Also have to say that apart from fact there is a gap around the edge where the carpet isn't attached to the grippers, it doesn't look any different to the rest of the carpet, so do feel quite hopeful about salvaging it (subject to smell of course!).

Any fitters out there with any tips or suggestions? Was thinking about trying to attach some of the webbing you get for under rugs to give the grippers something to hold onto?!!

thank you!
Bibimac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back