Why Would This Happen to My Floor & What's the Solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat is directly above the basement car park of the block where I live and the floor is concrete with plastic tiles laid over it. As you'd imagine, carpet does nothing at all to keep out the ferocious cold between November and May inclusive, so rather than lose my toes, I kitted out with 11mm thermal underlay seven years ago on the advice of a heating and insulation advisor. It definitely made a small difference to my toes, but overall the flat is still an ice bucket.

Yesterday I took up the carpets I'd laid seven years ago in my living room and found that the 11mm underlay was damp to the touch here and there - so I peeled it back and found that not only were there various patches on the plastic tiled floor which were slick with moisture, but next to the two exterior walls of the room there were continuous wet patches on the floor which extended anything between 20cm and 50cm into the room. Worse still, the wooden grippers round the walls were very damp and the projecting tacks were rusted black. Worst of all, there was a terrible musty smell which shows no sign of departing. There was even a centipede.

Am I right in guessing this phenomenon has something to do with some sort of dew point effect? If so, it's hard to figure out, because there's precious little warmth or indeed humidity in my living room - and the internal walls are just as cold as the external walls. My floor is right up in the air above the basement car park, with no moisture beneath it except moist air, so water penetration from below can fairly safely be ruled out (unless you know better). There are no gutters or downpipes in telltale locations - and perhaps strangest of all, my bedroom floor is bone dry under the underlay, even though the the room also has two exterior walls, is an even colder room than the living room and probably plays host to more hours of exhalation per day than the living room does.

As you'd imagine, I've taken up the underlay and it's had to go to my workplace and be hung up in a warehouse to dry out. But when it's dry, do I really lay it back down in my living room and then pay out for brand new carpet to go over the top when I know it's going to go all wet again underneath? And how in tarnation do I get rid of the current musty smell, which I suspect is coming from the damp wooden grippers which show no sign of wanting to dry out - and why would they when they're at floor level and hot air (from the radiators) rises and anyway the room is so cold that it never gets hot in the first place?

I'd be very grateful to hear any thoughts you might have on this topic, though I'm hoping that no-one advises me to despair and jump under a bus.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well the moisture must come from somewhere, below, above or from the side.

If its definately not an internal leak, and there is no sign of external ingress, It sounds like humidity caused by poorly insulated walls/floors.

Best process would be to dry everything out and introduce the use of a de-humidifier throughout the year to control the humidity or look at insulating and/or moisture barrier to stop humidity rising out the floor/walls.

You are above a garage and when internal combuston engines are running they produce quite a lot of water vapour, which also being warm, rises. What's the betting that condensation of this vapour is occurring when the exhaust gases hit the underside of your concrete floor (the garage roof), that perhaps it is being wicked through the concrete in some way and that the architect in their infinite wisdom didn't think to install a DPM in the floor because it was above ground level?

OK, so just a theory, but anyone got any better ideas?

I'd be tempted to put down some bits of plastic sheet with weights on top to see if condensation is forming overnight on the plastic between it and the floor (which at least would confirm whether or not the moisture is coming through the floor)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Kitchen and bathroom both have extractor fans; clothes are dried outdoors on a washing line all year round. The door from the living room to the hallway is kept permanently shut, so steam from the bathroom wouldn't make it into the living room.

The basement car park below me is well ventilated to say the least, with large iron gates at the front and iron fencing along the side, so fresh air circulates throughout it. In winter, when it rains for two or three days at a time, masses of condensation forms on the ceiling of the car park and sits there in big beads like marbles, but to be fair we've not had that happen since April - and anyway, if it were a factor, it'd affect all the rooms in my flat and not just the living room, so I'm guessing it can be discounted. However, I think it's fair to assume that there's no DPC in my floor, because the block of flats was built in 1978 (by idiots) and has no wall insulation - in fact I've been told that the wall cavity may only be about 1" or 1½" wide and that pumping insulation into it would make almost no difference.

The plastic sheeting experiment sounds eminently sensible, so I'll give it a shot. But one or two nights may not be enough to get a result; the wetness beneath the underlay may have taken months to build up. And as for the smell of mustiness, chasing it away looks like being challenging. Pine disinfectant hasn't had any effect, nor has water/white vinegar mix. Looks like I may have to fit new gripperrods and incinerate the old ones on the grounds that they're a biohazard.

Life, eh? Pain in't bum.

The only readily available chemicals I know which kill the black mould which is associated with damp are chlorine bleach (unpleasant) and hydrogen peroxide (or peroxide bleach) (also unpleasant). They work, but need to be used with caution as they are both corrosive and toxic

Many thanks for the timely advice. I'll handle them with care and make a point of not drinking them if I can avoid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back