Sticking Actuator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently been having problems with the hot water not turning off when it should.

Noticed that when it comes on the actuator (the system has two 2-way valves - one for CH one for HW) on the hot water feed clicks loudly and does not return when the water should go off.

This seems to also keep the boiler running until the valve is closed.

I've had the cover off the actuator and it looks ok but still didnt close until I pushed the little arm to close it.

Even with the power to the controller off, the water will stay on until either the valve closes or the boiler is turned off.

Any ideas? Is it as simple as replacing the actuator?

Its a Siemens DVA2/5 actuator.

Sponsored Links
With the actuator head removed, how easy can you move the spindle on the valve body?

It should easily twist with you hand, and if it cannot you would be advised to replace the valve body.

Does the actuator work with it detached from the valve body? IIRC, these valves have a synchron motor inside which could need replacing.

I've not had the whole head off, just the cover.

I presume removing the head is as simple as a couple of screws?

I think the valve body is turning ok as the valve will open without any problems if it is closed and the HW comes on but I'll check it tonight.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that the cylinder stat is turning off? Sounds not! Stat should be set at 55-60.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back