Sticking fitted wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these fitted wardrobes in the house I’m renovating, and some of the doors are very stiff – ie hard to slide along.

Does anybody know if you can fix them (new wheels at the bottom or whatever), or are they just worn out, in which case can you buy whole doors the same size? These ones date for 1994.

IMAG1116.jpg

Sponsored Links
Roger465, good evening.

Some of these type of doors have a sort of an adjustment system on the bottom rail where [depending on the design] there may be a Calm which will adjust the level of the door by adjusting the clearance between the guide rail and the door.

Can you have a look at the inside of the doors, especially at the bottom of the door where the wheels are sited, there may be a grub screw that will allow the height of the wheel to be adjusted?

Enough of all of the above? it is possible that the wheel or wheels has over time become simply jammed up with debris and bits of Carpet Etc?
If you can suggest you remove the door and have a poke around at the wheels, remove any detritus is removed oiled and replaced?

Ken.

Roger465, good evening.

Some of these type of doors have a sort of an adjustment system on the bottom rail where [depending on the design] there may be a Calm which will adjust the level of the door by adjusting the clearance between the guide rail and the door.

Can you have a look at the inside of the doors, especially at the bottom of the door where the wheels are sited, there may be a grub screw that will allow the height of the wheel to be adjusted?

Enough of all of the above? it is possible that the wheel or wheels has over time become simply jammed up with debris and bits of Carpet Etc?
If you can suggest you remove the door and have a poke around at the wheels, remove any detritus is removed oiled and replaced?

Ken.

Thanks Ken, will do, very useful info. Unfortunately have discovered a couple of more major disasters, so I can pretend hey're OK for a while...

Right, finally got enough of the priority stuff done to look at this door properly.

Here’s the problem:

IMAG1316.jpg

So I guess the question now is, can one buy the little wheel assemblies? And do I have to somehow remove the trim down the side of the door to remove the wheel? Is that big screw what attaches it?

Sponsored Links
Cheers - just found some exactly the same, so have ordered a pair. £36, but better than replacing the door, which is now obsolete, so actually replacing all four of them at horrendous expense...

Absolute giggle taking the door completely to bits to get the wheels out though - they are of course attached by screws whose heads are inside the door :mad::mad::mad:

I may not be much of an expert, but by **** am I determined...

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back