Sticking internal sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a downstairs WC put in around 2½ ago and the room has a sliding door. Over the past few months the door has become more difficult to close eventually resulting on me pulling it off the runner it is attached to above the door.

I managed to hook it back on and all seemed ok(ish) for a while. However, it's now become really difficult to close. This has coincided with the large amount of fine dust that gets thrown up during further building work and i'm wondering if this is related (we can't even close our curtains on their runners any more now - again I think it's due to the masses of fine dust we've had floating around)

I'm wondering if the runner should be greased somehow (it doesn't appear to have any grease on it) or if there is some other easy fix. I did adjust the height of the attachment between the runner and the door when hanging the door back on but it seemed to run ok at first, it certainly isn't scuffing the floor as if it was catching there. This is the only other thing I can think of but it appears level.

I have attached some photos. Not sure if they help much though!

full

The runner is above the door and has a bolt hanging beneath it that then hooks in to a bracket on the top of the door.

full

Any help appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
if you think it's dust, clean it away with a vacuum, them a paintbrush with water and WUL. Grease or oil makes the dirt stick.

If it already has a paste of oil and dirt, wash it off with white spirit and paintbrush, polished off with a rag. Remove the door first to avoid unsightly drip stains.

if your curtain rails are plastic, you need to clean them, then, once clean, wipe with furniture polish, which leaves a slippery surface.

Thanks John. Unfortunately I can't take it out. Well, I can't work out how to if it can be done. It appears to have been built in around the plasterboard wall. I used a damp cloth on the runners and it does seem to have improved it a fair bit. I'll try getting further in there with a paintbrush and more water.

I never added any grease and there was none there originally so it should only be dust. Like you suggest, since I cleaned the curtain tracks they are fine now so hopefully more water and cleaning will also improve the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back