How do I change sliding doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help me.

I am redecorating my son's room and in there is a built in wardrobe with sliding doors which are mirrored from top to bottom and I want to take them out and replace either with folding shutter doors or 2 new doors on hinges. The doors are currently on runners (obviously), but I haven't got a clue how I take them off and the runners and replace with normal doors.

The width or the frame is 150cm wide by 228cm high.

I have noticed most doors are 762mm wide so I presume I could just shave the edges and get 2 to fit the width space.

However I noticed that most are 1981mm high. I thought I could make some cupboard doors and hinge these on top above the main doors to look like there was 2 cupboards, however with only 300mm, they wouldn't be that big.

2nd option is can anyone advise whether I can easily buy replacement runner doors to replace the current ones and does anyone sell them with safety features to stop kids catching fingers in them....

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to take out the doors and then unscrew the top an bottom tracks, then you can start again. Most doors lift out quite eassily, lift them up and bring the bottom forward off the lower track and then they should drop down out of the top track.
The easiest thing would be to replace with new sliding doors, these can be suppliied with buffer stops to stop kids catching their fingers!
[http://www.wardrobe-design-online.com/]
Sophie
:) [/img][/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back