Sticking Toilet to Concrete Floor....The Best Way ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of installing a downstairs toilet, and just discovered that I can't drill through the concrete floor......a hammer drill just won't touch it......I'm told that now days a lot of plumbers use a silicone product to stick the porcelain down.......what's the best stuff to use please ?

Sponsored Links
Try a dewalt extreme masonry drill bit. Also go on a slow speed Vs fast that skips the surface and generates heat.
Never failed me yet.

As for sticking down toilet, try a pile on sharp sand and cement in the toilet centre. My old toilet was stuck for years like that.

Sponsored Links
Try a dewalt extreme masonry drill bit. Also go on a slow speed Vs fast that skips the surface and generates heat.
Never failed me yet.

As for sticking down toilet, try a pile on sharp sand and cement in the toilet centre. My old toilet was stuck for years like that.
Thanks for that, I've tried various masonry bits, to no avail, so God knows what's under the top screed.....I did manage to get one hole drilled out, but obviously one is not enough........

Problem with toilets is they can wobble as neither the toilet mould or floor is level and flat.
People are getting bigger and shift weight about.

Pretty sure a builder I once knew used quick setting cement to stick a toilet pan to a concrete floor.

No, don't use QS cement it will most likely crack the pan when it sets, just a normal sand and cement mix will be fine and you can level it up with pieces of old slate underneath. Leave for 12 hrs before use.

O,k Thanks for the replies.....this might be a dumb question, the floor currently has Cushion Floor or Vinolay, or whatever it's called stuck to it, is it best to cut a bit out, like the shape of the toilet pan, so that the pan sits on the concrete ? or actually sit the pan directly on to the floor covering ?.....I can't see the floor covering moving, as it is stuck down to the floor.....just wondering what's best practice........

You need to stick toilet to concrete floor.
The toilet needs to be firmly fixed or will move about or wobble.
It's also a good chance to sit toilet on card and draw around to make a flooring cutting template

Well, so this is the plan......the toilet pan is in situ, so once I've removed the cushion floor underneath it, lift it a few millimetres (6mm) ?
and apply the Sticks Like **** around the underneath of it, then gently lower the pan down onto it, and leave to cure.....luckily I haven't bricked the hole up yet, where the soil pipe goes through the wall, so it allows for upwards movement......does this sound feasible ?......

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if these spacers are thick enough ?.....
Photo1249.jpg

I suddenly realised, that with using those thin spacers, I wouldn't be able to get the bit of cushionfloor out from under the pan......so using one's about an inch thick, anyway it's out now, just got to get the sticky
Photo1250.jpg
stuff and we can get it stuck down........

Last edited:
Honestly , do it properly, get a good quality masonary bit and it will chew through anything, Bosch Blue universals are a great bit and a good strong hammer drill, ideally mains powered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back