sticky black mess under tiled floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Anyone offer any help on this.
I've just removed the old tiled floor in the kitchen and it looks like the old tiles had been stuck down with some sort of bitumin type glue.
I have solid concrete floors and I'm left with a sticky/tacky black mess.
It's not very thick, just a very light covering over the concrete. I've scraped off what I can but can't fully remove it.
Where there were no tiles layed the concrete floor is fine so I don't believe this is a dpm.
Is there a product to remove this black stuff????
If not, can I re-tile (vinyl) over the top and will new adhesive stick to this????
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Your sticky black mess is probably bitumen which will have to be removed as I doubt new adhesive will stick to this.

You need to scrape off as much as you can and I believe previous posters have had some success using white spirit to remove the remainder - it is NOT a nice job. I have a machine that I use to remove this stuff but I'm not sure where you would hire one from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back