Sticky Kitchen Table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Over the past few months our wooden kitchen table has become quite sticky, and we cannot clean it. Tried to use vinegar and the usual soaps, polish etc. It is like the varnish/finish has come off leaving the sticky residue.

Question 1. Does anyone have any ideas?

Question 2: I have read online to use a mild product that will remove the existing finish by gently scrubbing with a fine wire wool. Can anyone suggest a "fine wire wool" as I dont want to damage the table. I have seen a sort of synthetic pad made by 3M which claims to do the job, and does not look like it would damage the table.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
I have known varnish go sticky where it is cleaned a lot in a bar. I have a feeling it may be the cleaning products that are doing it, this may be the case in your kitchen as well.

You are describing abrasives to take the surface off. If the varnish has softened, you will mark it severely and the abrasives will be quickly clogged as it will not come off like dust.

You could try cleaning a small test area with meths, and another with white spirit. Maybe do it on a leg or edge where any spoilage will not show.

It sounds like its had it. I have known cheap acrylic varnish do similar things with and moisture and heat. Sand it off and try an oil finish its; bullet proof

Sponsored Links
my bar looks like it is a polyurathene varnish.

It is a Victorian slab, looks like mahogany type, but was refinished in 1986 years after being neglected for 20 years while the building was empty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back