Sticky Kitchen Table / Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, firt post so nice to meet you all!

I have been given kitchen table which belonged to my parents for many years. It's a beautiful solid oak monster. Although over the years, it's not been well looked after in terms of the finish. The tabletop is very sticky, so I would guess that the original finish is wax. The legs seem not to have been finished in any way at all. My aim would be to clean up the table, possibly even right down to the wood and give it a fresh finish (including the legs).

My question is, what should I finish the table with? There seem to be lots of opinions, but they essentailly come down to oil or wax. Some say that wax will become sticky, and does not offer a hard surface. For this reason I err towards oil. But some say oil is not as protective as wax.

I should also add that due to the age of the table, it's quite a dark colour - which I like. I would like to get back to this dark colour after sanding.

What are the opinions here? Is any one better for the kitchen? Are there combinations which take advantage of both?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Paint stripper will remove any wax , clean off with white spirit and fine wire wool,[messy business] then you can re-wax, oil etc.
The right oil treatment will offer good protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back