Sticky pine shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a wardrobe and have finished the main construction prior to fitting the doors. The pine I've bought for the shelves, about 9" wide, is very sticky with woodsap. I would rather not paint or varnish them but I need to get rid of the tackiness. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thany you big-all, presumably you can knotting that to a degree is invisible. Thanks for your input.

Not in my experience. Its normally a deep orange in colour.

Sponsored Links
assuming you have several shelves choose a shelf above eye height clean an knott or varnish the affected area to seal
or under the bottom shelve where nowt will see it :D

Wipe / clean the surface of timber with one of the following;

Finishing sprite
Mentholated sprite
Cellulose thinners
Acetone
Panel wipe
Anti silicone wash

Fine sand the timber and at the same time remove all arris with 180 grit paper.

Clean surface of timber again with any of the above

Apply one or two coats of the following shellac denibbing between coats with 320 grit paper.

Sand sealer or white polish and finish with a clear furniture wax.

Personally I would go for sand sealer as this will give the most natural looking finish.

Sand sealer will also give a soft silky feel to the surface of the timber.

You may want to send this member a PM in the past he as given very good advice on timber finishing etc

woodfinishes1877

This is some first class information. It's a lot more work than I thought I would be doing considering the amount of shelves that are going in, but nonetheless I'll be off to my local Travis/Perkins tomorrow and see what they have of that list you painstakingly wrote out.

Thanks big-all and awbcm for all your help. I won't have to suffer the wrath of the good woman after all!

Cheers

I don’t think Travis Perkins will be able to help you.

If I was you I would checkout the threads woodfinishers1877 as contributed to, I am sure he gave an online supplier of french polishing goods. Or send him PM

Panel wipe is the same well almost the same as anti silicone wash but about half the price. It is what is used in the automobile finishing trade.

Or you can find your local Morrells

Okey doke, I'll send a PM to woodfinishers1877.

You really are a mine of good information.

Thanks for the reply.

You are very welcome

Just keep us informed of the out come if you don’t mind that way we all learn

Just to let you know, I sent a PM to the recommended member last night and so far no reply. I wouldn't want you to think I've sapped you of tips and forgotten you!

Sorry everyone, only back from holiday a week ago and hadn't checked my profile, thanks for the kind words awbcm. The advice you gave, in my opinion, is spot on. Clean with meths, sand, apply a couple of coats of shellac sanding sealer and finish off by applying wax polish with 0000 steelwool and buff - perfect.

All of these products can be bought at Smith & Rodger Ltd

Sorry again for the delay in replying, it won't happen again (until the next holiday!)

woodfinishes1877

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back