"stiff" UPVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a new house, and the previous occupants essentially never used the front door.

Its a fairly standard UPVC thing, with four roller cam things on the leading edge which lock it.

Now we've started using it, i find the locking mechanism is very tight/stiff, but only when the door is closed.

Ie if you lift the handle up when the door is open, the cams all slide down nice and free, but close the door and repeat, and you have to really heave on the handle to get it to lock, and similarly heave on it to get it to unlock.

Further to that the lower two cam rollers were catching on their respective checks on the frame meaning you had to wrestle with the door once unlatched to get it to actually open.

I've removed the lower two catches, and reinstalled them about 5mm further down, which has mostly cured them catching, but the tightness is still there when operating the lock. There doesnt seem to be any other adjustments, so i'm somewhat puzzled as to whats causing the issue.

Sponsored Links
In the middle of each roller cam is a hex hole perfect for an Allen key :LOL: , also notice a small dot or possibly line on the cam, fit Allen key in hole and turn so the line or dot faces away from the door rubber and try the door then

Heh, yep obvious when you point it out!

Lines were all pointing straight down, turned them all 90 degrees so they were away from the rubber and it closed super easily. Turned them back about 45ish degrees and now it has a nice positive action.

Just need to sort the bathroom window now, time for a new post!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back