Stilts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to skim a ceiling that’s 3m high. The area’s about 12m sq to be done – which I think is going to be a push for me to do (given my plastering abilities).

I’m thinking about investing in a pair of stilts to do the job, as I can think that otherwise I’ll be wasting valuable time going up and down, and moving ladders. I don’t want to spend mega-bucks so was thinking of something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380027722542

I’d welcome anyone’s thoughts/experiences/tips on using stilts?? Do they actually save time?

Any other considerations? – the only thing I can think of is the need to raise my spot board.

Thanks!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Better off with a couple of builders trestles and making a work station where you can take your plaster, trowels and woteva. They'll be much handier over the years.

stilts are the dogs b*****s if you plan on plastering in the future. Depending how tall you are get the right size stilts that will give you the right height for 2.4m ceilings which usually are the norm.
so go from the lowest setting and add your height.

I use stilts and have recently done a ceiling on my own with them, You just need to make sure you have got something high enough to sit on when you put them on. Also have a tressel high enough to put everything you need on, once you have mixed your skim up put your stilts on and away you go. Make sure you mix enough to do the area involved as you dont want to get down till you've put the first coat on. Make sure the floor is clear of any debris as you need a clear area to walk around with out looking down and worrying .Have you looked on the "Axminster " tools site . I got my stilts for about £80. Be careful because the higher you go the more unstable they become till you master them..Good Luck

Sponsored Links
About 90% of my work at the moment is on stilts covering over artex. Wouldn't be without them.

The ones on ebay are very cheap, i'd invest if i were you.

I use trestles at max extension to hold spot board (you can buy spot board stand extension pieces!!) and an old workmate to sit on when putting the stilts on etc.

ditto above about keeping area as clear as possible. Bigger ceilings you will need a labourer though!

Good luck

Thought about stilts but have never been on any; how easy is it to get used to them, does it take time & need practice or is it something that just comes naturally once your used to being further off the ground?

Those stilts on e-bay are "dirt cheap" i bought my first pair for £250, 5 years ago, then sold them on for £200 and recently bought some from Axminster tools for around £80 but recently swopped them for some fishin' tackle!! Now will probably get those ones off e-bay,, Once you get them sit on your kitchen work top and get someone to help you put them on, then stand up and just get used to the feel of them and walk along and hold on to the wall or the ceiling,I found holding on to the ceiling easier..Watch your head on the light fittings, :LOL: and just gradually get used to them .. It wont take long before it is second nature. Your legs may ache for a while but they will be ok when you've had them on for a while. Don't rush , just take your time and it will come.....Good Luck...

He's no plasterer, he's only got one ceiling to do. Use a plank over trestles or something. Learning to use stilts for just one job is crazy.

You've got it in one Joe,,,, although he could always take a crash course and join a circus afterwards.

Roughcaster.

That advice was for Richard C joe.. He seems keen to learn about them.... At that price I would recommend anyone to buy them, you don't have to be a plasterer even painters can use them and they are great for cleaning out garage or shed gutters and Circus stunts ;)

That advice was for Richard C joe.. He seems keen to learn about them.... At that price I would recommend anyone to buy them, you don't have to be a plasterer even painters can use them and they are great for cleaning out garage or shed gutters and Circus stunts ;)
Sorry, I seemed caused some confusion with my little bit hijacking; thanks for the response Roy, maybe I’ll give them a go then. ;) But having previously managed to fall off a plank & bear crates (twice!), I’ll probably end up breaking my neck. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses – seems a mixed bag of opinions really.

Yes, I am a diy-er, and at the moment I only would require them for one plastering job. However, myself and the girlfriend (who also acts as my labourer and can knock up a good plaster mix :D ) are trying to climb the property ladder by buying run-down properties and living in them as we do them up, so it’s likely that over time they will get used more and more.

I do appreciate that using trestles/scaffold boards would be simpler, but I’m conscious that it takes time to get on and off the boards and to re-position them around the room – this is why I thought the stilts would be a time saving option.

Also, the cheapest extendable trestles I can find are £30 a pair from screwfix, so it’s not too much of a large jump in cost from trestles to the stilts.

Until reading the posts I’d not thought about using stilts for other things, however I could see them being useful of other things too:

Painting ceilings
Trimming hedges
Clearing gutters
Fitting Coving
Circus tricks
Rescuing kittens from trees
Replacing the pole vault bar
Being able to get the best view at concerts
Cleaning giraffe’s teeth….

Whey you look it like that then it seems crazy not to buy the stilts!! :LOL:

But seriously, it does sound like the stilts might take a bit of work to get used to, but could be beneficial in the long run. For £60 I’ll take that chance and order a set. I’ll feedback once I’ve got them on the quality of that particular set, and how I found using them.

Thanks for your thoughts

I thought that now I’d had a bash on my stilts I’d feedback to everyone.

I went ahead and order the stilts of eBay (link above), and they arrived 2 days later. The required a bit of assembly (basically the leg braces needed to be secured). It terms of quality they seem to be pretty solid, and for £60 I’m not complaining!

I got myself on top of the ladder, strapped myself up, and away I went. My first thoughts were ‘Oh my god – I’m never going to be able to walk, let alone plaster in these’. It felt very un-natural and unsteady.

However, I did 8 to 10 laps around the edge of the room using the wall to help balance myself and I felt better. I then started criss-crossing the room to practice moving without support. After another 20 mins or so I was moving around ok, although I was still having a few wobbly moments.

I decided to PVA the ceiling at this point, and discovered that actually thinking about something other than being on the stilts did help me move more freely – so did looking straight ahead/up rather than looking down at the floor.

I did 2 coats of PVA and then got down. The next day I donned the stilts again, at a slightly higher height, PVA’d one final time (also a useful final practice) and then went ahead with a skim.

The plastering went ok – I did leave a few trowel marks where I’d needed to push the trowel against the ceiling to steady myself on occasion, but went over these again fine. I did find the skim took slightly longer as I couldn’t spread/stretch as far as I normally would. I guess with time/experience you can take steps with trowelling and still get a smooth finish, but I’m not at that stage yet. However, I think this method was a lot quicker than if I’d had to keep repositioning ladders or a trestle set up.

I will definitely be using my stilts again when the need arises, and I would recommend them to others who are serious diyers and have competently plastered ceilings before.

My tips would be –

Get the straps as tight as possible – especially the leg straps.
Start off on the stilts next to a wall, or something that will help you balance.
Take your time.
Look straight ahead rather than down (providing you have a clear floor!).
Wear knee pads/gloves. Thankfully I didn’t fall, but psychologically I think they helped.
Wear safety goggles for any stray plaster.
Ensure you adjust the stilt height so your head’s about a foot and a half away from the ceiling (allowing your arms a good reach on the ceiling).
Don’t work alone.

Thanks again for all your comments.

You'd have found a set of trestles far more use. You use them endlessly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back