Stinky toilet - this is serious!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new-build home and we're having real problems with the en-suite toilet, which just STINKS! I know what you're probably thinking - but it's honestly spotlessly clean. I just can't figure out why it smells so bad. Its probably most noticeable in the morning when I get up and take a pee. There will be no smell at first, but when my pee agitates the water in the bottom of the bowl the smell is rank!! And before you think it - I haven't got a bladder infection or something!!
The other two toilets in the house are fine. No smell there at all.
One complication to this is that the sistern is concealed, and I'd need to shift a pretty serious lump of granite to get to it!!
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be, and what I need to do? I'd be grateful for any advice. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
try running water down the sink/bath/shower and see if the smell subsides.It could well be water in the traps (U-bends) being syphoned out when you flush the toilet/drain a full bath,leaving you a pipe to the sewer with no water seal.This is quite common with a bath "pulling" the shower trap,with the waste pipe gunged up with hair etc it runs full bore and syphons the trap.Either try unblocking or fit anti syphon traps (look like regular u-bends with little air valves on)

Thanks BingoBongo!
Now you come to mention it the waste pipe on the shower is currently gunged-up with hair - i've been meaning to get in there with the Mr Muscle plug hole unblocker! So if I unblock the shower and the smell goes then this is the problem yeah?
And these anti-syphon traps will prevent the smell the next time the shower waste pipe gets gunged up?

better with a Hep V O "waste valve" instead of trap :idea: ..bongo`s advice is spot on ;)

Sponsored Links
The only prob is changing the traps (tiled floor? Vanity basin?)
but it def sounds as though this is the problem.Some plumbers merchants sell an acid you can put down that burns most of the hair and gunge (read instructions and get the marigolds on) After a good rinse get an old fashioned plunger into it, remember and block off the overflows when your plunging

This is top advice! thanks guys!! I've got some of that acid stuff (it looks pretty serious!!). Hopefully it'll do the trick this time, and i'll have a look at these valves! Just got some cheap laminate and no vanity basin so hopefully sholdn't be too tricky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back