New builds, internal soil stacks, stinky en-suite....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post, and I've been reading about smelly toilets for the best part of the week, but just want some clarification for my issue.

I've checked a lot of what has already been said in various other threads, and I'll list that in a minute.

The problem: Our ensuite over the course of a day begins to smell of sewage, sulphury etc.

It's an enclosed cistern and pan, but I've checked the waste pipe and it isn't leaking. It's also running down hill (slightly).

When flushing the smell goes away for a while, but begins to come back soon after. I've checked that the other toilet levels are not affected when flushing this one, and they aren't.

The pipes make no gurgles showing no air is being sucked in, waste traps in sink units are all clear (emptied and double checked).

The traps all fill with water and maintain levels otherwise.

I cannot find any leaks anywhere and that would lead me to think there is a stack issue.

The house is ~7-8 years old, and we only brought it 3 months ago and I've been working my way through various issues (usually cosmetic) but this one is a bit more pressing as no one likes a stinky toilet room.

The ensuite in question is the only room that smells, and is also closest to the vertical stack pipe (which is boxed in) it has toilet, sink, shower all flush/drain fine, no untoward smells from plug holes. However, when I took the trap off the sink and left it off for a bit the smell was getting stronger a lot quicker from the waste pipe leading away.

There is another toilet on the same level (the next room across and is main bathroom) but this doesn't suffer from the same issue.

I think it is a single stack system which terminates on a roof tile vent (from what I saw in the dark last night standing in the garden) although there were two of these vents about a tile apart on the roof (what could the other one be for? :confused: )

I'm planning on going in to the loft tonight (lack of a ladder has prevented me so far) to have a look around, but does anyone have a clue as to what I will be looking for?

I will also lift the manhole cover tonight to check the drainage, but can't imagine there is a blockage as surely we would have had a bigger problem by now?

sorry for the essay post, but I am just trying to lay out as much information as possible, no doubt I've forgotten something so I'll add what I can when I remember.

I'm pretty good at DIY and an mech eng by profession so should grasp most of the helpful suggestions I get.

Many thanks.

Al.

Sponsored Links
try and find where the vertical soil pipe terminates first, that will give a good indication of what it might be next.

Hi Pete,

I assume you mean at the bottom of the stack? I know there is a manhole in the alley leading down the side of the house, so I'm going to lift that tonight when I get back and have a peer inside then get the missus to go around flushing the toilets and make sure they all come down at a good rate.

When you say indicate what's next, what are the possible outcomes other than the obvious very slow flow indicating a blockage further up?

I'm not clear on how a blockage of that nature could be cleared as the stack is boxed in until it breaks through in to the roof cavity.... :(

Thanks.

Al.

Ok, so latest update.

I lifted the manhole outside the house, only one channel which serves our house, and got the missus to flush the upstairs toilets, both were a little slow to flow down to the soil drain.

I've still not got to go up to the loft (lack of ladder still) so need to double check the vent situation.

I'm going to guess, giving the toilet which seems to smell a plunge might have the desired effect, but if not, how would I go about rodding the stack? Can I rod from the manhole cover up or would it need to be through the toilet?

Cheers,

Al.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I think it is a single stack system which terminates on a roof tile vent (from what I saw in the dark last night standing in the garden) although there were two of these vents about a tile apart on the roof (what could the other one be for? :confused: )

Al.

Do you have a ceiling fan that vents through the roof next to the SVP?.

A simple drain test will tell if you have issues with the stack and internal waste pipes.

Hi Jim,

From the looks of it, yes. There is a extractor fan which I would assume is the other vent tile (thanks for that - brain not engaged)

So simple drain test... please go on. :)

Plug the 4"pipe in the attic either by parting a ring seal fitting or cutting through a straight piece of pipe with an old wood saw
( if you have to cut it use a 4" slip collar to repair it later) then put a test plug in the inlet at the manhhole you lifted.

Test Procedure
The water seals in all sanitary appliances should be filled.
The test plug at the manhole should be fitted with a tee piece.
One branch of the tee goes via a flexible hose to the ‘U’ gauge;
the other branch has a hose that goes to a small hand pump.
Air is pumped into the soil pipe until a pressure of 50mm water gauge is obtained.
if the pressure remains constant for a couple of minutes the stack is sound.

http://www.pipetechindustries.com/prod.php?p=106

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back