Stock market dealing

Yes cybersecurity is a growing sector. Microsoft got hacked recently FFS.
Darktrace is another one, which is British. Up 37% on the year, but more recently not good.
Wrote way back, that the big obvious facility for AI black hats is the internet. It's a brillliant vector and they have a superb tools to use - people's stupidity. "We were hit by ransomeware" is so common but pathetic. You arrange unconnected backups, duh. Jeepers even I could do that.

The most successful hacks are apparently those using sophisticated "phishing". A profile is built with widespread information gathering. The extra knowledge lends veracity to comms. AI can help with that, but mostly it's just complicated.

Heard one recently where "ethical", paid hackers, posed as rubbish collectors. Rubbish gave them company details and email addresses. Then they stuck a notice on a rear door, while collectig the rubbish, saying "Do not close this door". Someone left it open, so in they went. Can't actually remember what they did then but wifi snooping devices have been used for ages, so all quite low tech. Company had thought it was secure.

There are lots of niche sectors, and "super secret" plays, which I get bombarded with emails about. Lithium is one, Nuclear another, Musk's AI exploits another.
From my experience, doing that gets you a bunch of companies whose stocks don't do much, or lose money as the hype tails off. LIttle biotech companies is another group.
I find it much easier to simply ride the wave while it's rising, then "short" it when it collapses.
Gas and oil don't do all their changing in one day, nor bitcoin, but they shift a lot. Catalysts (news etc) will cause a quick change so use it. I'm far from the most successful but it works enough for me. Thos with more skill use small companies, where the growth can be times dozens in a day. That's very difficult to get right, I wouldn't go near it.

I saw a video recently which said just do 2 things. Good video, but it starts off listing the two groups of things, so about 40 things, but it's all in the beginning few minutes. I do almost of those, one way or another - mostly by seeing what others are saying.
It's all in the first 5 minutes, before he does his examples. :

First thing was other people's information, second part the mechanics. Yeah OK there's a bunch of "indicators" you can use which help a little bit, but you can usually see from the chart what the indicators are going to tell you anyway. For example, is a stock is rising but wiggles snd flutters every now and again, you don't know for sure where it'll go backwards, but a Bollinger band will show you what's within one standard devation of the line, which gives you a measure of how far it has actally gone off.

If gas is going up, you don't have to be a master technician to do ok.

So where's it hard? Spoiler alert, it's the psychology to carry it out. You have to turn on your inner psychopath.

If all you did in 2023 was buy a leveraged NVIDIA (smart chips company) stock (eg NVD3), the rise in the year was 2000%.
Thay would be a tip, then. Not clairvoyance
Here is is for this January alone (so far) It has doubled:
1706269701149.png

If it does that every month , that'll be £1000 turning into £4,000,000. All you have to do is wait.
If you want some work, watch it and sell for some of the red bits. Then you get x3 in a month and half a billion quid in a year.

Sponsored Links
Good for you. I saw a lot of opportunities today and took ten trades. Bad trades on netflix, paypal and tesla though. -£814.10
Ugh,. I have some of those T shirts.
Tesla had some bad-ish results but otherwise, only AMD had a (weak) catalyst. Bitcoin goes in waves, so tends to trend.
The Coin, Mara, Hut 8 stocks follow bitcon, so you get an idea where it's going. Watch BTC separately.
It's tempting to jump on every rising stock, but for me the ideal is about 2, with most of the resources on the one rising fastest by %age.
Always need to check the %age. Something rising from 100 to 101 can fill the screen.
If I have no idea really, I start with "1" then when it's in profit I add another, then 2, really carefully. You still get to a decent level fairly soon. Always think "what if it shoots back 2 candles". If the spread goes wide, and it's a small cap stock you lose so much.. I bet you've done that!

The worst thing I have trouble stopping myself doing, is clicking on a stock which is shooting up. Don't. Do as Neal on TTV says, let it stop rising then short it. Must admit, if it slows, then rises again, I'm often suckered in.
Levels levels levels, it's all about moving from one to the next. If you have no idea, it's guessing. On TTV they might suspect a stock is going to rise once it breaks a level because there's a catalyst, so they (Shawn in particular) buys say 10,000 shares if the level is broken. Soon he starts "taking some out" of the position. Thats why he gets so excited over a 20 cent gain. That can easily win him £1000's a second. More if they're leveraged.
They can have a few $million on one stock.
Once he meant to buy 400 shares and mis-hit so got 4000. "never mind" he said.

If you can make half a billion quid in a year why are you posting in here?

Been watching tradertv again today, and learning lots from them, even how to talk the talk. So here's a summary for today.

Stoked up and put orders for all 4 of my man Shawn's excellent ideas on the stiki. Alibaba got HIT. WHAMM! My order filled, sitting short, looking pretty. Levis stoked up on the open. PUMPED!!! Down to VWAP so did I get in long on the retracement on that Big Boy? YOU BET I DID!!!! And they kept coming!! PInterest man!! It PUmped it higher then down to VWAP AND R3 so I got in on that number, you bet. Man this was really happening. Palantir too next!! What a day man!! YOu got to be in it to win it.

Total: -£947.50

Sponsored Links
If you can make half a billion quid in a year why are you posting in here?
You , or anyone else with a GCSE could make the same half billion with a stock which did that. Look atthe numbers. I didn't draw that graph.

I don't have the prop shop's facilities. It would be a bit incredible to make half a billion a year, but I gave the numbers. That stock has gone what they call "parabolic" which iss the wrong term mathematically speaking. Yes it's remarkable when you learn what people are making by dealing in money. Most traded is Forex. $12,000,000,000,000 (if that's trillion) every day.

It used to be about $10m a year that a prop shop guy would make, but that's probably $100m by now - without crazy stock growth.
I posted to explain what you can do.. My bank accounts are quite different from what they were when I started. IF you look back you'll see I posted a pic of the first £300k or so. After that you can do the sums yourself.

Today was just Coinbase - same as several days this month. Nothing whatsever clever from me. About 5% movements, leveraged x 5, gaining 25% on whatever you use..

I do it mostly because it's addictve and I'm disabled so I can't get out much. I wish it had been available when I was young.. But if everyone does it, or uses AI to do it, the financial system collapses. We're in some sort of transition.

Last edited:
Been watching tradertv again today, and learning lots from them, even how to talk the talk. So here's a summary for today.

Stoked up and put orders for all 4 of my man Shawn's excellent ideas on the stiki. Alibaba got HIT. WHAMM! My order filled, sitting short, looking pretty. Levis stoked up on the open. PUMPED!!! Down to VWAP so did I get in long on the retracement on that Big Boy? YOU BET I DID!!!! And they kept coming!! PInterest man!! It PUmped it higher then down to VWAP AND R3 so I got in on that number, you bet. Man this was really happening. Palantir too next!! What a day man!! YOu got to be in it to win it.

Total: -£947.50
Is that negative 947? Oh.

Yeah, it's quite hard listening, isn't it. I still don't understand everything they say. SC calls himself a teacher, which is a joke. I don't generally write in the "chat" but I'm seeing a few criticisms.
SOmetimes I think it would be easier without them, butthe guests are interesting, and Neals midday bit, and the learning bit with Cherif and Adara. If I just used radio3 I'd fall asleep, which has happened.
The sticky note was fairly wrong at the start of the day, but the coinbase bit was right, until it turned for the short. It's much easier to concentrate on one stock. It started before the open, though, which I can get to to an extent.

It's a bit mad going all over the stock market. Find the steepest trend and that'll do best. If something's doing 5%, why make it hard?

As far as I've thought through, SB is much the same as CFD. I don't know what the effective leverage is. If it's x5, the 5% x5 x £20k is a £4k profit.

Coinbase wasn't right. The note said 128.5L and it never got there, so it never came into play. As you said:

"If the Sticky note says Meta 133L, it means that there's a "level" at 133 for Meta, and he expects the price to go UP from there IF that price is reached., ie L = Long."

You're right, it wasn't. I thought he SAID it had been right!. He often waves the bloody thing at the camera when he's got it wrong.
As I've been banging on about, I watch the crypto stocks (at least 3 or 4, ie Coin, Mara, Hut 8, Riot, and another which has slipped my mind), plus energy. I had some Coin at open and some of the others. With hindsight Mara would have been better to plump for. Maybe Coin's spread was tighter. It was a busier time than I prefer, closing and re-entering too much. Often I close a trade when a rise slows, and kick myself for not just holding through the pause, but I console myself knowing that if it had reverted, I wouldn't have lost, so I paid for the insurance.

You can't take what they on TTV say as gospel, though they're quick to highlight it if the numbers turn out to be precise. They quite often do. Actually it's just that Shawn guy. Usually they're a good guide as to where the action will be, though, and you have to adjust.
Neal doesn't crow like that, he's much less ego driven. His afternoon trade analysis is good - he shows his years of experience more quietly. A day or two ago he explained a "fake-out" very well, which he finessed.. SMB's youtubes are good too, and they speak with clearer language.
You need a headful of chart patterns and price actions, and I'm too old to learn a lot of that now. The odd hundred or so would have been easier when I was young. Shawn recognises a lot but I think his brain works more by intuition which taught itself over the years.

They have an annoyingly good platform which is excellent for scalping. I assume you do that - buy and sell several times within a 1 minute candle?? I find that quite satisfying, but also that it's vital to close if something isn't quite the same pattern as the previous few, otherwise five 20 cent wins end with a 2 dollar loss. (20c of share price might mean $200 of course). Always better to not "just try one more".

Actually ARBU you've been doing this longer than me so I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but, a) I assume one or two others are reading and, b) you said you weren't doing particularly well. As all the gurus say, keep a lid on the losses and you're only left with winners.

When I look back, losses are usually when I didn't have at least two reasons for entering. Buying only because the price is rising, isn't good enough.

It really works to buy and sell several times within one minute? No I don't do that. What would you do, just try to follow the trend earlier in the minute and hope it doesn't reverse?

You watch and if say it's rising, buy the dips of the retracements same as on longer timescales.
Yes it often works well , but only on a very active stock. Only those are liquid enough though , which provides a tight enough spread.
My platform isn't best because it can be too slow

On TTV, Adara talks about it quite often, and Shawn certainly does it. They can place a trade by one click on the chart and then set an "out" stop with a right-click so it's really fast, but a minute is quite a long time once you're in a rhythm. They can set a tight stop-loss at the same time.
Does IG let you set that up?

Arbu will know this, but a graph may help the passing bewildered:
1706459215522.png

This is idealised, but if that's minutes at the bottom you get ~three small swings for one large, of a price. If the spread (buy-sell difference) is one of the grey vertical boxes you get a trade of say 4 spreads in, one of which you lose to the spread. The slow change is about 17 boxes vertically, say you'd grab 15 if that's all you traded.
But while it goes down you get about 15 chances to scalp 3 boxes; 45 is three times the number of boxes won only using the slow changes.
Then if you start going short on the drops, and long on the rises, you get ~6 times.
It's MUCH easier to only go in the direction of the trend, so if you miss your exit you can just wait for the next cycle. If you miss the close of the trade (the exit) , skip the reverse trade and add another with-trend as you were doing, then close both with-trend trades at the same place.

That's the way to trade more safely - always with the higher timebase trend.

If only it was always as easy as the diagram...

Now, (I'm on a roll again, you can tell), everything is Fractal - you get the same patterns at any timeframe you pick.
Here's an example, same thing, larger timescale.
Someone said to me that they invested in the INDEX - you know, those which JD said you won't beat, and it lost.
An example of this is the FTSE.
Like it says, minus 1.55% on the year. SO, investing or trading, which is the same thing on a different timescale, is no good. ??
Reply to the someone is, not to be so lazy.

Common charting Indicator is the (Donchian)channel - auto drawn, I didn't do it. It shows where the price has been and how far it has deviated on a statistical measure. The purple line is the moving average. You could draw he same freehand or just eyeball it.
You sell when it's low and rising, and buy when it's high and falling.
From the moving average, to either channel edge, is about 5%
If you don't do any Shorting, so only buy the dips, you still get 25% without luck involved.
If you went short as well you'd do better

1706461584004.png

If you'd bought at the dip about 7 July, and missed the flat-top peak later in the month - no matter, you can hold until the next rise mid September, then sell. If you had spare cash you could also buy mid August on the dip.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Philips is in the news at the moment due to some agreement it's reached with the US FDA. So that should be a good one to trade. But the spread on it at IG is 5 (at eToro it's 7). The ATR on a one minute basis is about 3. So how can trading multiple times per minute possibly work? I had a go, anyway:

• 29/01/2024 10:44
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£10.40
  • 29/01/2024 10:05
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£9.20
  • 29/01/2024 10:04
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£6.00
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£6.00
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£6.00
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£9.20
  • 29/01/2024 10:03
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£9.20
  • 29/01/2024 10:03
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£6.00
  • Total
    -£62.00

Better in the end after I started holding my trades for 20-30 minutes:

• 29/01/2024 17:46
    SoFi Technologies Inc
    +0.50
    -£25.35
  • 29/01/2024 17:08
    Advanced Micro Devices Inc (All Sessions)
    +0.50
    £41.50
  • 29/01/2024 17:07
    SoFi Technologies Inc
    +0.50
    -£27.85
  • 29/01/2024 17:01
    +0.50
    £20.50
  • 29/01/2024 16:32
    Microsoft Corp (All Sessions)
    +0.50
    £54.00
  • 29/01/2024 16:31
    +1
    £60.00
  • 29/01/2024 16:24
    Alphabet Inc - A (All Sessions)
    -£45.00
  • 29/01/2024 16:20
    +0.50
    -£30.00
  • 29/01/2024 15:56
    +0.50
    -£57.50
  • 29/01/2024 15:49
    Ryanair Holdings PLC (Euronext Dublin)
    +4
    £28.40
  • 29/01/2024 15:33
    +0.50
    -£41.50
  • 29/01/2024 15:23
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£64.00
  • 29/01/2024 15:11
    +1
    -£50.00
  • 29/01/2024 14:52
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £7.00
  • 29/01/2024 14:41
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£21.00
  • 29/01/2024 14:39
    +0.50
    £44.50
  • 29/01/2024 14:39
    +1
    £191.00
  • 29/01/2024 14:09
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £13.20
  • 29/01/2024 13:23
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £8.00
  • 29/01/2024 12:56
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £18.60
  • 29/01/2024 11:23
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £15.20
  • 29/01/2024 10:59
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    £14.00
  • 29/01/2024 10:44
    Koninklijke Philips NV
    -£10.40

+£153.70 on those.

No it's not ridiculous, but you do need the right conditions! It's the mag7 where I've done it. Spreads are a 2-3 cents. Just had a look - candles are 15 cents high. They have to be "bouncy" within the candle.
I expect you use TradingView, - see if the charts will do 1 second candles. Then you see the price really bouncing up and down sometimes.. I have apaid version, not sure if it comes with the free one.

Didn't happen today.
Not sure why you were getting those L's in a row? I get cross when I get two in a row..
Yes I was in some of those names today but not Phillips.
From the scanner I saw some of the smallish Pharma names being active, and went to CRISPR which moved a fair bit. The spreads are quite wide on those.
I often look at TWIST because they make little bits of things like mrna, which the other bios use to make their molecules up. So if a couple of names are up, they tend to follow.

IG can show a one second candle chart. I was using a ten second chart there yesterday.

I had losses because I was looking for AMD and other US stocks to go up and instead they had some big falls, simple as that.

What is the scanner to which you refer?

Closed out Taiwan Semiconductors, as I said I would around the end of the month. -£776.

Sponsored Links
Back