Stone wall in loft ... feature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We need advise. We live in a terraced house and are converting our loft. One wall is rough stone and we are keeping this as a feature. The difficulty is:

1. filling in the holes in the wall without the expense of re-pointing.
2. filling in the gaps between the stairs and the wall.
3. holes in wall where old joists were removed. These holes show above the level of the floor and carpet.

We have currently used expanding foam, but it looks ugly even after we try to stain the foam a similar colour to the stone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Some pics attached.

//www.diynot.com/network/overseashoosier/albums/

Sponsored Links
Anything you do apart from repointing/rebuilding where there are old holes or gaps or whatever will look crap. The cost of re-pointing etc would seem to be less than insulating, boarding and plastering. In my job I do a lot of work on public attractions all over the world, when we want to make something look like a stone wall or do some rockwork, it gets built out of stone or cement!

Out of interest did BC kick off about having to insulate the wall, or have had to add a little extra elsewhere?

edited for spelling! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick answer.

BC didn't have a problem with it (thankfully). We did want to leave open the brick work on the other end of the loft as well, but they said "no" to that. Neither neighbor on the other side have their loft converted so there is no insulation between. I think because we did one wall they let us get away with the stone feature wall.

Sponsored Links
Any pointers for where the banister is next to the stone wall? The builder filled the gap with expanding foam.

Also, do you recomment filling the joist holes with cement?

thanks for your help, I may need therapy after this therapeutic job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back