.... stop leaking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Ive got a problem with a leaky pipe and im in need of help, please.

The problem is i cant turn off the stop cock because it leaks, i cant see how to switch the water off outside of the property (i lifted the cover and it was flooded. i reached down and found the head of bolt whereas i was expecting a tap).

Ive tried a few bodges - i tried Ls-x but that was useless (i may need to apply more) and i tried some heavy duty sealant which didnt work. I tried tightening it but cant get it to move. one problem might be is the pipe is at an slight angle to the fitting. (my next step is to try and adjust this angle).

As i can see where the leak is in the sealant is it possible to "top up" the sealant.
whats the best way to stop a leak when you cant stop the water?

Sponsored Links
Call the water supplier if your boundary stopcock is broken so they can fix it and then you can replace your internal one

Sponsored Links
What type of stop tap do you have outside? The 'old' type, metal hinged cover on a clay pipe, or the newer plastic box type?

The new type are prone to filling with water, if you have one of these, try and bale out the water so you can see what you've got. If you have a fish around, there should be a wire 'key', shaped like a large '7' at one end, with a hex head on the other. This locates in the hex socket at the bottom, turning it will shut the supply off. If the key is missing a suitable sized Allen key may suffice to close the valve. Do not force it though!

thanks for that. it is the new type and it is filled with water. Didnt occur to me to empty it! Ill have a look tomorrow.

Use a wet vac to suck out all of the water (£40 from Wickes)

If you don't have a 'key' to turn the water off, then lift a couple of your neighbours stopcock covers and you'll find a key in one of theirs.

Andy

The Wickes wet vac isn't a bad buy, i've got one! Might have to get another cos the Dysoff is going to get lobbed if anything else goes wrong with the blasted thing..... :evil:

If you don't have a 'key' to turn the water off, then lift a couple of your neighbours stopcock covers and you'll find a key in one of theirs.
Nice one Andy, hadn't thought of that! ;) Then if it was 'accidentally' forgotten to be replaced, you've got one... :LOL:

right,
can now switch off the water. unscrewed the joint to discover there is no olive! (not the first time ive spotted a dodge diy job on the house somewhere.

tried wrapping PFTE tape but hasnt stopped the leak.

the pipe is in the joint and i think i want to get it out to add the olive.

considering the pipes are all connected up how do i get the pipe out of the joint to add the olive? the only option seems to dismantling everything but seems to be a bit heavy hand and is just going to add more problems.

also does it matter if the tape gets twisted and ends up going on like string rather than wide tape. (i cant easily get the tape around the threads due to lack of space)

would correctly applied pfte tape solve the problem and remove the need of an olive?

fyi the system is an old BSP 1/2" system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back