Stop radiator leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can I ask you if there's any way I can tighten these two parts on the radiator as they have a slow leak on them and what tool I would need to tighten them with thanks.

Sponsored Links
Radiator leak pics

Attachments

• 20230122_111746.jpg
    20230122_111746.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230122_111738.jpg
    20230122_111738.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26
Also if I isolate the radiator via the part in picture below, will this stop the two parts that are leaking at the top? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Closing both radiator valves will isolate the rad,but it will still be full of water under a little pressure. You can relieve the pressure using the air bleed valve ( which looks like it needs replacing as it is knurled up)
You just need a spanner of the right size to remove the whole valve ,clean it up and screw in a new one. Likewise with the blank that's leaking too.

Ideally new would be preferable though you may get away with removing the existing and using a little gas PTFE tape/cord on the threads and re-use them.

Put some old towels on the floor to absorb any spillage.
Close both valves at the bottom, open bleeding valve and catch water into a container.
Once there's no more pressure, unscrew both top valves, clean the radiator thread and replace with new valves.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
Then reopen bottom valves and top up boiler to correct pressure.
£4 all in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back