stop tap orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why won't a stop tap work if it is fitted with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction?

Sponsored Links
I doubt that all stopcocks are the same design but in the type I'm thinking of the washer and the part that holds the washer aren't lifted of the seat by the spindle turning, they are lifted by water flow from the mains side. This doesn't work very well in reverse. Also think about which side of the valve the spindle gland is. If you fit it the wrong way round you won't be able to shut off water pressure to the spindle gland if it ever needs attention. .

Why won't a stop tap work if it is fitted with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction?
Because they normally have loose jumpers in them and rely on the incomming water pressure to open them.

Fit it the wrong way round and in all probability the incomming mains pressure will hold the valve closed even if the tap is unwound to open it.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that all stopcocks are the same design but in the type I'm thinking of the washer and the part that holds the washer aren't lifted of the seat by the spindle turning, they are lifted by water flow from the mains side. This doesn't work very well in reverse. Also think about which side of the valve the spindle gland is. If you fit it the wrong way round you won't be able to shut off water pressure to the spindle gland if it ever needs attention. .

Thanks, Blondini and Alan E. This poses another question: What is the purpose of the loose jumper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back