HW tank connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with HW being drawn when all taps are turned off. This is manifested by the Stuart Turner Monsoon pump which runs on when HW is turned off at the tap. When I close off the main HW supply (green arrow), the Monsoon pump stops as required. At the same time there is still a trickle of HW at the tap. The stop cock at main HW supply is new and works as required. There is no apparent HW leakage as HW tank stops filling when full, yet there is still a draw at the Monsoon pump.

This is confusing to me. Perhaps it'll be clearer if somebody explains the purpose of the line at the red arrow. The pump below the red arrow is disconnected but the stop cock is broken so it can't be shut off.

Sponsored Links
The red arrow is pointing to the central heating pipework and as such has nothing to do with your problem.

If your HW pump is running on then it suggests that water is still flowing (leaky tap washer?) or the flow switch on the pump is faulty and not switching off when the flow stops. Check first that all taps do seal properly when turned off before looking for faults on the pump.

The above post is incorrect!! the pump is a Grundfos BRONZE hot water Secondary pump, it was installed to circulate hot water around the domestic hot water system, so that hot water is available as soon as a hot tap o
is opened, the pump has obviously failed (they are big bucks to replace) and has been abandoned it would be a good idea to remove and as much of this unused pipe work as possible as it could be a dead leg (Legionella)

this is also the route that water is taking to get to your monsoon pump ;)

I will bow to your superior knowledge, but why the motorised valve above the pump?

Sponsored Links
The above post is incorrect!! the pump is a Grundfos BRONZE hot water Secondary pump, it was installed to circulate hot water around the domestic hot water system, so that hot water is available as soon as a hot tap o
is opened, the pump has obviously failed (they are big bucks to replace) and has been abandoned it would be a good idea to remove and as much of this unused pipe work as possible as it could be a dead leg (Legionella)

this is also the route that water is taking to get to your monsoon pump ;)

Secondary pump HW makes sense. (Ignore my second post too :) ). Noted about the associated dangers.

Note that the HW to the monsoon pump goes down the pipe with the green arrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back