stopcock in street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to turn the stopcock off outside my house. It's a new(ish) house so it only affects my property.
My questions are:
1. do you just use the long stopcock key and turn the handle clockwise to shut the water off, and do you turn it until it is fully down like the stopcock handle in the property?
2. When you open the stopcock in the street do you open it all the way and then back half a turn like you would a normal stopcock?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
1: depends if it's a wuarter turn on or not (see what I did there ;))- if the latter do not be too heavy handed with it.
OK .. what's a quarter turn on?.. and how do I tell the difference?

Is it possible to turn it too far?

Sorry should have read: quarter turn or not...

If its a quarter turn, then turningthe stop cock 90 degress will turn the water off.

If you turn it too far, it'll turn the water off and on again... doh!

If you have a screw down type and o0ver do it you can kill the mechanism and the water board will have to replace it.

trust me - I done it recently.

Although I escaped ridicule becasue of the illegal water supply sitting next to it.

Sponsored Links
I will guess that you have to give it a bit too much muscle to kill the mechanism... so just gentle pressure till you feel it reach the stop to close it?

ok cheers...

I have to turn it off as some twit has installed a gate valve as the main stopcock!

Dan_Robinson said:
If its a quarter turn, then turningthe stop cock 90 degress will turn the water off.

If you turn it too far, it'll turn the water off and on again... doh!
Are you sure? I've never seen a 1/4 turn water company service valve than doesn't stop when it's shut.

I'm in the habit of leaving the lobes of the handle of a screw-down valve aligned (when open) with the pipe run. Since most people don't do that, it's obvious from a glance if the person to last touch it wasn't me.

Softus said:
I'm in the habit of leaving the lobes of the handle of a screw-down valve aligned (when open) with the pipe run. Since most people don't do that, it's obvious from a glance if the person to last touch it wasn't me.

Maybe we all will now to confuse you! :D

In that case I'll start leaving them misaligned by 1.49º. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back